Abstract. Puspitaningtyas DM, Handini E. 2020. Ex-situ conservation of Cymbidium finlaysonianum by seed storage. Biodiversitas 21: 3519-3524. Cymbidium finlaysonianum Lindl. is an orchid that is native to Indonesia which has a pendulous flowers and relatively attractive colors. As a part of the Orchid Seed Storage for Sustainable Use (OSSSU) project, a preliminary study on seed of Cymbidium finlaysonianum Lindl. was conducted to test its viability at Bogor Botanic Gardens, Indonesian Institute of Sciences. The aim of this research was to evaluate the seed viability and to predict the seed longevity of C. finlaysonianum, after storage for different periods at freezing temperature-20°C. Storing of orchid seeds under cold conditions was the best conventional method in prolonging seed viability. Four different culture media were tested for asymbiotic germination. Seed viability was assessed after the seeds were stored for 0, 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, 12 months. Testing continued every year until there was no seed germination, and the viability was lost. The direct method of counting the number of germinating seeds was used to test seed viability. The result showed that seeds of C. finlaysonianum were able to germinate in 4 media i.e. Knudson C, modified Knudson C, modified Vacin & Went, and modified Hyponex fertilizer. The research showed that the viability seeds of C. finlaysonianum decreased after 2 years of storage, and the seeds were almost completely non-viable after six years of storage.
Arditti J, Ghani AKA. 2000. Numerical and Physical Properties of Orchid Seeds and Their Biological Implications. New Phytologist 145: 367 – 421.
Barthlott W, Große-Veldmann B, Korotkova N. 2014. Orchid Seed Diversity: A Scanning Electron Microscopy Survey. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem. Englera 32. Berlin. p.13.
Butcher D, Marlow SA. 1989. Asymbiotic Germination of Epiphytic and Terrestrial Orchids. In Pritchard, H.W. (ed.). Modern Methods in Orchid Conservation: The Role of Physiology, Ecology and Management. p. 31 – 38. Cambridge University Press.
De Pauw MA, Remphrey WR, Palmer CE. 1995. The Cytokinin Preference for In Vitro Germination and Protocorm Growth of Cypripedium candidum. Annals of Botany 75: 267 – 275.
Handini E, Puspitaningtyas DM, Garvita RV. 2016. Conservation of Paphiopedilum supardii Braem & Loeb by Seed Storage and In Vitro Propagation Methods. Buletin Kebun Raya 19 (2): 117 – 127.
Handini E, Puspitaningtyas DM. 2009. Preliminary Studies on Orchid Seeds Storage of Cymbidium finlaysonianum. Proceedings of the Conservation of Indonesian Flora in Concerning with the Effects of Global Warming, July 14, 2009. Eka Karya Botanic Garden, Bali - LIPI. p. 183 – 190.
Hosomi ST, Santos RT, Custodio CC, Seaton PT, Marks TR, Machado-Neto NB. 2011. Preconditioning Cattleya Seeds to Improve the Efficacy of the Tetrazolium Test for Viability. Seed Sci. & Technol. 39: 178 – 189.
Humpreys JL. 1960. Help Wanted. Orchid Rev. 68(802):141 – 142.
Kano K. 1965. Studies on Media for Orchid Seed Germination. Mem. Fac. Agric. Kagawa Univ., No. 20, 74 p.
Kaur S. Bhutani KK. 2012. Organic Growth Supplement Stimulants for In Vitro Multiplication of Cymbidium pendulum (Roxb.) Sw. Hort. Sci. (Prague), 39: 47–52.
Mweetwa A, Tay D, Welbaum G. 2006. Orchid Seed Storage for Germplasm Preservation. HortScience 41(4):1028. http://www.actahort.org. Accessed on January 5th, 2020.
Pierik RLM. 1987. In Vitro Culture of Higher Plant. Martinus Nyhoff Publisher. Netherlands: Departement of Horticulture Agronomy University. 344 p.
Pritchard HW. 1984. Liquid Nitrogen Preservation of Terrestrial and Epiphytic Orchid Seed. Cryo-Lett., 5: 295 – 300.
Pritchard HW. 1985b. Growth and Storage of Orchid Seeds. In Tan, K. W. (ed.). Proc. 11th World Orchid Conference. Miami 1984, p. 290 – 293. 11th World Orchid Conference, Inc.
Pritchard HW. 1985a. Determination of Orchid Seed Viability Using Fluorescein Diacetate (Technical Report). Plant Cell and Environment 8:727 – 730.
Puspitaningtyas DM, Dwiarum AC. 2012. Orchid conservation of Paraphalaenopsis serpentilingua by in vitro culture. International Conference on Biological Science. Faculty of Biology Gadjah Mada University. p. 478 – 486.
Puspitaningtyas DM, Handini E. 2014. Orchid Seeds Storage of Coelogyne spp. for Ex Situ Conservation. Buletin Kebun Raya 17(2): 101 – 112.
Puspitaningtyas, D.M. and E. Handini. (2011). Orchids seed storage of Dendrobium stratiotes Rchb.f. Proceedings of the National Seminar "Current Conservation and Future Challenges" . UPT BKT Kebun Raya Cibodas – LIPI. p. 60-65.
Seaton P, Kendon JP, Pritchard HW, Puspitaningtyas DM, Marks TR. 2013. Orchid Conservation: The Next Ten Years. Lankerteriana 13(1 – 2): 93 – 101.
Seaton P, Ramsay M. 2005. Growing Orchids From Seed. Royal Botanic Garden. Kew. 83 p.
Seaton PT, Hailes NSJ. 1989. Effect of Temperature and Moisture Content on the Viability of Cattleya aurantiaca Seed. In Pritchard, H.W. (ed.). Modern Methods in Orchid Conservation: The Role of Physiology, Ecology and Management. p. 17 – 29. Cambridge University Press.
Shekarriz P, Kafi M, Deilamy SD, Mirmasoumi M. 2014. Coconut Water and Peptone Improve Seed Germination and Protocorm Like Body Formation of Hybrid Phalaenopsis. Agric. Sci. Dev. 3(10): 317 – 322
Singh F. 1981. Differential Staining of Orchid Seeds for Viability Testing. Am. Orch. Soc. Bull. 50(4):418-419.
Tawaro S, Suraninpong P, Chanprame S. 2008. Germination and Regeneratiion of Cymbidium finlaysonianum Lindl. on a Medium Supplemented with Some Organic Sources. Walailak J. Sci. & Tech, 5(2): 125 – 135.
Untari R, Puspitaningtyas DM. 2006. The Effect of Organic Material and Levels of NAA Concentration on the Growth of Black Orchids (Coelogyne pandurata Lindl.) by In Vitro Culture. Biodiversitas 7(4): 378–382.
Utami ESW, Hariyanto S. 2016. The Effect of Organic Nutrient and Growth Regulators on Seed Germination, Embryo and Shoots Development of Dendrobium antennatum by In Vitro. Biosaintifika 8 (2):165-171.
Van Waes JM, Debergh PC. 1986. Adaption of the Tetrazolium Method for Testing the Seed Viability, and Scanning Electron Microscopy Study of Some Western European Orchids. Physiol. Plant. 66:435-442.
Vejsadova H. 2006. Factors Affecting Seed Germination and Seedling Growth of Terrestrial Orchids Cultured in Vitro. Acta Biologica Cracoviensia Series Botanica 48(1): 109-113.
Whigham DF, O’Neill JP, Rasmunssen HN, Caldwell BA, McCormick MK. 2006. Seed Longevity in Terrestrial Orchids – Potential for Persistent In Situ Seed Banks. Biological Conservation, 129: 24 – 30.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- RINI UNTARI, DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, The effect of some organic compounds and NAA application on the in vitro growth of the black orchid (Coelogyne pandurata Lindl.) , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 7 No. 4 (2006)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, Orchid inventory in Bantimurung-Bulusaraung National Park, South Sulawesi, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 18 No. 1 (2017)
- TITIEN NGATINEM PRAPTOSUWIRYO, DIDIT OKTA PRIBADI, DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, SRI HARTINI, Inventorying the tree fern Genus Cibotium of Sumatra: Ecology, population size and distribution in North Sumatra , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 12 No. 4 (2011)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, SOFI MURSIDAWATI, SUPRIH WIJAYANTI, The fertility study of Paraphalaenopsis serpentilingua (J.J.Sm.) A.D. Hawkes , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 7 No. 3 (2006)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, Orchid diversity in a logging concession in Tabalong District, South Kalimantan, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 11 (2020)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, ELIZABETH HANDINI, Seed germination evaluation of Phalaenopsis amabilis in various media for long-term conservation , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 11 (2021)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, Orchid Inventory and the Host in Meru Betiri National Park â€“ East Java , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 8 No. 3 (2007)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, HARY WAWANGNINGRUM, Nepenthes diversity in Sulasih Talang Nature Reserve - West Sumatra , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 8 No. 2 (2007)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, Inventory and exploration of orchid in Polewali Mandar, West Sulawesi, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 7 (2019)
- DWI MURTI PUSPITANINGTYAS, Study on Orchid Diversity in Gunung Simpang Nature Reserve, West Java , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 6 No. 2 (2005)