Abstract. Astarini IA, Defiani MR, Suriani NL, Griffiths PD, Stefanova K, Siddique KHM. 2020. Adaptation of broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica L.) to high and low altitudes in Bali, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 21: 5263-5269. Broccoli is an important vegetable worldwide, with expanding markets and opportunities in Asia. In Indonesia, there is demand from high-end hotels, restaurants, and export markets, but the local supply is low quality and low yielding. Crown cuts are typically small and misshapen as the varieties are grown are not adapted to local environments. This study targeted new broccoli varieties to identify those best adapted to environmental stresses in Bali, Indonesia, using two-site replicated field experiments. Experiments were undertaken in two regions in Bali (Bedugul and Tabanan) using 13 commercial varieties that included heat-sensitive varieties and others identified as heat-tolerant in trials on the East Coast of the USA. The trials evaluated the varieties for crown initiation, days to maturity, crown size at harvest, crown diameter, and overall performance. The study demonstrated that all 13 varieties could be used for broccoli production in the Bedugul region (1200 m a.s.l. altitude), with Castle Dome being the best performer due to its earlier maturity and large high-quality crown. The varieties Bay Meadows, Belstar, Imperial, and Sarasota could be used in the Tabanan region.
Bjorkman T, Pearson KJ. 1998. High temperature arrest of inflorescence development in Broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica L.). J Exp Bot 49: 101–106. http://doi:10.1093/jxb/49.318.101
Biro Pusat Statistik. Statistik Tanaman Sayuran dan Buah?buahan Semusim Indonesia 2018; BPS RI, Jakarta, Indonesia, 2019; pp 111.
Branham SE, Stansell ZJ, Couillard DM, Farnham MW. 2017. Quantitative trait loci mapping of heat tolerance in broccoli (Brassica oleracea var. italica) using genotyping-by-sequencing. Theor App Genet 130(3): 529–538. http://doi: 10.1007/s00122-016-2832-x
Climate data org. Available online: https://en.climate-data.org/asia/indonesia/bali/bedugul-199435/ (accessed 8 February 2020).
Farnham, MW, Bjorkman T. 2011. Evaluation of Experimental Broccoli Hybrids Developed for Summer Production in the Eastern United States. Hort Sci 46(6):858–863.
Fellows JR, Reader RJ, Wurr DCE. 1997. A model for leaf production and apex development in calabrese. J Hort Sci 72: 327–337.
Fontes MR, Ozbun JL, Sadik S. 1967. Influence of temperature on initiation of floral primordial in green sprouting Broccoli. J Amer Soc Hort Sci 91: 315–320.
Koscielny CB, Hazebroek J, Duncan, RW. 2018. Phenotypic and metabolic variation among spring Brassica napus genotypes during heat stress. Crop Pasture Sci 69(3): 284-295. https://doi.org/10.1071/CP17259
Lin, CW, Fu SF, Liu YJ, Chen CC, Chang CH,Yang YW, Huang HJ. 2019. Analysis of ambient temperature responsive transcriptome in shoot apical meristem of heat-tolerant and heat sensitive broccoli inbred lines during floral head formation. BMC Plant Biol 19(3): 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12870-018-1613-x.
Mourao IM, Brito LM. 2000. Empirical model for harvest prediction in broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. var. italica Plenck). Acta Hort 539: 47–53.
Sahamishirazi S, Moehring J, Zikeli S, Fleck M, Claupein W, Graeff-Hoenninger S. 2018. Agronomic performance of new open pollinated experimental lines of broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. var. italica) evaluated under organic farming. PLoS ONE 13(5): 1–13. http://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196775.
Statistik Pertanian 2017. Available online: http://epublikasi.setjen.pertanian.go.id/epublikasi/StatistikPertanian/ 2017/Statistik%20Pertanian%202017/files/assets/basic-html/page358.html (Accessed 13 December 2018).
Tan DKY, Birch CJ, Wearing AH, Rickert KG. 2000. Predicting broccoli development: I. Development is predominantly determined by temperature rather than photoperiod. Sci. Hort. 84: 227–243.
Widaryanto E, Roviyanti F. 2017. Efficacy of oxyfluorfen herbicide for weed control in broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. var. italica). Asian J. Crop. Sci. 9(2): 28–34. http://doi.org/ 10.3923/ajcs.2017.28.34.
Wiebe HJ. 1975. The morphological development of cauliflower and broccoli variety depending on temperature. Sci Hort 3: 95-101.
Wurr DCE, Fellows JR, Phelps K, Reader RJ. 1995. Vernalization in calabrese (Brassica oleracea var. italica)—A model for apex development. J. Expt. Bot. 46: 1487–1496.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- IDA AYU PUTRI DARMAWATI, IDA AYU ASTARINI, HESTIN YUSWANTI, YUYUN FITRIANI, Pollination compatibility of Dendrobium spp. orchids from Bali, Indonesia, and the effects of adding organic matters on seed germination under in vitro culture , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 5 (2021)
- AJIE IMAMSYAH, I WAYAN ARTHANA, IDA AYU ASTARINI, The influence of physicochemical environment on the distribution and abundance of mangrove gastropods in Ngurah Rai Forest Park Bali, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 7 (2020)
- M. DANIE AL MALIK, NI PUTU DIAN PERTIWI, ANDRIANUS SEMBIRING, NI LUH ASTRIA YUSMALINDA, ENEX YUNIARTI NINGSIH, IDA AYU ASTARINI, Short Communication: Genetic structure of Longtail Tuna Thunnus tonggol (Bleeker, 1851) in Java Sea, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 8 (2020)
- I MADE SAKA WIJAYA, MADE RIA DEFIANI , Diversity and distribution of figs (Ficus: Moraceae) in Gianyar District, Bali, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 1 (2021)
- IDA AYU ASTARINI, ENEX YUNIARTI NINGSIH, DEVY SIMANUNGKALIT, SHELLA AYU ARDIANA, M. DANIE AL MALIK, NI LUH ASTRIA YUSMALINDA, ANDRIANUS SEMBIRING, NI PUTU DIAN PERTIWI, NI KADEK DITA CAHYANI, ALLEN COLLINS, Genetic variation of longtail tuna Thunnus tonggol landed in four fish markets in Indonesia based on mitochondrial DNA , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 4 (2021)
- IDA AYU PUTRI DARMAWATI, I NYOMAN RAI, RINDANG DWIYANI, IDA AYU ASTARINI, Short Communication: The diversity of wild Dendrobium (Orchidaceae) in Central Bali, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 19 No. 3 (2018)
- ANAK AGUNG KETUT DARMADI, NI LUH SURIANI, I KETUT GINANTRA, SANG KETUT SUDIRGA, Short Communication: Effectiveness of cinnamon leaf extract to control anthracnose disease on large chilies in Bali, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 6 (2022)