Abstract. Octarya Z, Novianty R, Suraya N, Saryono. 2021. Antimicrobial activity and GC-MS analysis of bioactive constituents of Aspergillus fumigatus 269 isolated from Sungai Pinang Hot Spring, Riau, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 22: 1839-1845. A total of 16 isolates of thermophilic fungi originating from hot springs in Riau and West Sumatra have been tested for their antimicrobial ability against pathogenic microbes Candida albicans, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli. The antimicrobial test was carried out by using the disk diffusion method. Molecular identification of the most potential isolate (LBKURCC269) was carried out by amplifying the ITS (Internal transcribed spacer) sequence on rDNA using universal primer ITS-4 and ITS-5. ITS sequence results showed that LBKURCC269 has a 99% similarity to Aspergillus fumigatus. Ethyl acetate extract of LBKURCC269 (Aspergillus fumigatus 269) showed good antimicrobial activities against three pathogenic microbes tested with the inhibition of 17 mm, 13 mm, and 13 mm against Staphylococcus aureus, Candida albicans, and Escherichia coli, respectively. There were 24 identified chemical compounds in ethyl acetate extract. The major compounds were eicosane, eicosane 2-methyl, phenol, 2,6-bis(1,1-dimethyl ethyl)-4-methyl, hexadecane 2, and 11-octadecenoic acid, methyl ester. These findings suggest that thermophilic fungi isolated from hot springs could serve as reservoirs for new bioactive compounds of industrial and medical importance.
Adrio, J. L. and Demain, A. L. (2003) ‘Fungal biotechnology’, International Microbiology, 6(3), pp. 191–199. doi: 10.1007/s10123-003-0133-0.
Ahsan, T. et al. (2017) ‘Extraction and identification of bioactive compounds ( eicosane and dibutyl phthalate ) produced by Streptomyces strain KX852460 for the biological control of Rhizoctonia solani AG ? 3 strain KX852461 to control target spot disease in tobacco leaf’, AMB Express. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. doi: 10.1186/s13568-017-0351-z.
Al-Dhabi, N. A. et al. (2016) ‘Isolation, identification and screening of antimicrobial thermophilic Streptomyces sp. Al-Dhabi-1 isolated from Tharban hot spring, Saudi Arabia’, Extremophiles. Springer Japan, 20(1), pp. 79–90. doi: 10.1007/s00792-015-0799-1.
Alrumman, S. A. et al. (2019) ‘Antimicrobial Activity and GC-MS Analysis of Bioactive Constituents of Thermophilic Bacteria Isolated from Saudi Hot Springs’, Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 44(1), pp. 75–85. doi: 10.1007/s13369-018-3597-0.
Amer, M. S. et al. (2019) ‘Characterization of some fungal strains isolated from the Eastern coast of Alexandria, Egypt, and some applications of Penicillium crustosum’, Egyptian Journal of Aquatic Research. National Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries, 45(3), pp. 211–217. doi: 10.1016/j.ejar.2019.06.006.
Balouiri, M., Sadiki, M. and Ibnsouda, S. K. (2016) ‘Methods for in vitro evaluating antimicrobial activity: A review’, Journal of Pharmaceutical Analysis. Elsevier, 6(2), pp. 71–79. doi: 10.1016/j.jpha.2015.11.005.
Boussaada, O. et al. (2008) ‘Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of volatile components from capitula and aerial parts of Rhaponticum acaule DC growing wild in Tunisia’, Microbiological Research, 163(1), pp. 87–95. doi: 10.1016/j.micres.2007.02.010.
Chambergo, F. S. and Valencia, E. Y. (2016) ‘Fungal biodiversity to biotechnology’, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 100(6), pp. 2567–2577. doi: 10.1007/s00253-016-7305-2.
Chaudhary, R. and Tripathy, A. (2015) ‘Isolation and identification of bioactive compounds from Irpex Lacteus wild fleshy fungi’, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, 7(7), pp. 424–434.
Chávez, R. et al. (2015) ‘Filamentous fungi from extreme environments as a promising source of novel bioactive secondary metabolites’, Frontiers in Microbiology, 6(SEP), pp. 1–7. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2015.00903.
Choi, K. R. et al. (2019) ‘Systems Metabolic Engineering Strategies: Integrating Systems and Synthetic Biology with Metabolic Engineering’, Trends in Biotechnology. Elsevier Ltd, 37(8), pp. 817–837. doi: 10.1016/j.tibtech.2019.01.003.
Hicham, L., Gaime, I. and Roussos, S. (2008) ‘Production of fumagillin by Aspergillus fumigatus isolated from traditional trituration units, Maasra, in Morocco’, Micología Aplicada Internacional, 20(1), pp. 35–41.
Kanse, O. S., Kadam, T. A. and Dnyanoba, K. V. (2014) ‘Partial identification of antimicrobial compound produced by thermotolerant Bacillus subtilis KFSB5 isolated from compost soil’, Research Journal of Biotechnology, 9(2), pp. 23–28.
Keller, N. P., Turner, G. and Bennett, J. W. (2005) ‘Fungal secondary metabolism - From biochemistry to genomics’, Nature Reviews Microbiology, 3(12), pp. 937–947. doi: 10.1038/nrmicro1286.
Laureti, L. et al. (2011) ‘Identification of a bioactive 51-membered macrolide complex by activation of a silent polyketide synthase in Streptomyces ambofaciens’, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 108(15), pp. 6258–6263. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1019077108.
de Oliveira, T. B., Gomes, E. and Rodrigues, A. (2015) ‘Thermophilic fungi in the new age of fungal taxonomy’, Extremophiles, 19(1), pp. 31–37. doi: 10.1007/s00792-014-0707-0.
Orfali, R. and Perveen, S. (2019) ‘New Bioactive Metabolites from the Thermophilic Fungus Penicillium sp. Isolated from Ghamiqa Hot Spring in Saudi Arabia’, Journal of Chemistry, 2019. doi: 10.1155/2019/7162948.
Scheffler, R. J. et al. (2013) ‘Antimicrobials, drug discovery, and genome mining’, Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 97(3), pp. 969–978. doi: 10.1007/s00253-012-4609-8.
Svahn, K. S. et al. (2012) ‘Antimicrobial activity of filamentous fungi isolated from highly antibiotic-contaminated river sediment’, Infection Ecology & Epidemiology, 2(1), p. 11591. doi: 10.3402/iee.v2i0.11591.
Takahashi, J. A. et al. (2008) ‘Isolation and screening of fungal species isolated from Brazilian cerrado soil for antibacterial activity against Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella typhimurium, Streptococcus pyogenes and Listeria monocytogenes’, Journal de Mycologie Medicale, 18(4), pp. 198–204. doi: 10.1016/j.mycmed.2008.08.001.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- AULIA ARDHI, ARINA NADENGGAN SIDAURUK, NABELLA SURAYA, NOVA WAHYU PRATIWI, USMAN PATO, SARYONO, Molecular identification of amylase-producing thermophilic bacteria isolated from Bukit Gadang Hot Spring, West Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 3 (2020)
- EDY FACHRIAL, VISENSIUS KRISDIANILO, HARMILENI, I NYOMAN EHRICH LISTER, TITANIA T. NUGROHO, SARYONO, Isolation, characterization, activity test and molecular identification of thermophilic bacteria producing proteases from Dolok Tinggi Raja Natural Hot Springs, North Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 4 (2021)
- EDY FACHRIAL, RADEN RORO JENNY SATYO PUTRI, I NYOMAN EHRICH LISTER, SARI ANGGRAINI, HARMILENI, TITANIA T. NUGROHO, SARYONO, Molecular identification of cellulase and protease producing Bacillus tequilensis UTMSA14 isolated from the geothermal hot spring in Lau Sidebuk Debuk, North Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 10 (2020)
- AULIA ARDHI, KARINA CUCHA AHMAD, HANITA NOVRIANTI, ERA YURISA HUSNA, MARDI YULIS, NOVA WAHYU PRATIWI, SARYONO SARYONO, Hydrolytic enzymes-producing ability of species of actinomycetes and bacteria associated with wilted banana plants (Musa sp.) , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 4 (2019)
- SARYONO SARYONO, SENJAVI RAKHMANA, FITRI RAHAYU, AULIA ARDHI, RUSLI RUSLI, NOVA WAHYU PRATIWI, TITANIA T. NUGROHO, Molecular identification of endophytic fungi isolated from the tuber of Dahlia variabilis and exploration of their ability in producing ÃŸ-galactosidase , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 18 No. 1 (2017)
- RIRYN NOVIANTY, ANNISA HIDAYAH, SARYONO, AMIR AWALUDDIN, NOVA WAHYU PRATIWI, ANNISA HIDAYAH, ERIWINA JULIANTARI, The diversity of fungi consortium isolated from polluted soil for degrading petroleum hydrocarbon , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 11 (2021)
- SARYONO, RIRYN NOVIANTY, NABELLA SURAYA, FINNA PISKA, SILVERA DEVI, NOVA WAHYU PRATIWI, AULIA ARDHI, Molecular identification of cellulase-producing thermophilic fungi isolated from Sungai Pinang hot spring, Riau Province, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 3 (2022)
- SARYONO, ISMAWATI, NOVA WAHYU PRATIWI, SILVERA DEVI, MERRY YOHANA SIPAYUNG, NABELLA SURAYA, Isolation and identification of lactic acid bacteria from traditional food sarobuong of Kuantan Singingi District, Riau, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 24 No. 4 (2023)
- EDY FACHRIAL, SARI ANGGRAINI, HARMILENI, SARYONO, TITANIA T. NUGROHO, Inhibitor a-glucosidase activity of Pediococcus acidilactici DNH16 isolated from Dali ni Horbo, a traditional food from North Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 24 No. 2 (2023)
- RIRYN NOVIANTY, BHEKTI ANTIKA, SARYONO, AMIR AWALUDDIN, NOVA WAHYU PRATIWI, ERWINA JULIANTARI, Naphthalene degradation by Pseudomonas sp. LBKURCC419 strain with addition of glucose as cosubstrate , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 11 (2022)