Abstract. Hardiwinoto S, Ardiansyah F, Widiyatno. 2021. Application of selected teak clone and organic fertilizer to accelerate rehabilitation of lowland forest of Java, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 22: 1750-1756. Lowland forest in Java Island Indonesia is dominated by teak forest. However, for some decades, the forest has degraded and decreased teak wood production. Rehabilitation of the degraded forest is needed to accelerate the forest land cover. Vegetative propagation of selected clones is one of the techniques used in the asexual reproduction of plants to maintain superior genetics from ancestors to their offspring. In addition, adding organic fertilizer can improve the chemical and physical properties of degraded sites. In this study, vegetative propagation techniques of selected teak clones and addition of organic fertilizer were used to rehabilitate the degraded forest. The objectives of the research were to determine the best propagation technique and appropriate dosage of organic fertilizer toward the early growth of clonal teak plantations. The results showed that the height and diameter parameters did not significantly differ for vegetative propagation and interaction with organic fertilizer dosage (P > 0.05). However, the dosage of organic fertilizer significantly increased the DBH of the teak (P < 0.05), although the height parameter did not significantly differ among dosages of organic fertilizer (P > 0.05). The best dosage of organic fertilizer was 5 kg/individual, under which the average growth in height and diameter of teak at 14 months was 3.79 and 5.60 cm, respectively. This suggests that vegetative propagation of selected teak clones and addition of 5 kg/individual organic fertilizer could be implemented to support the successful rehabilitation of degraded forests.
Adinugraha HA, Mahfudz. 2014. Development of vegetative propagation technology of teak plant in small holder forest. Jurnal WASIAN. 1: 39-44. [Indonesian].
Akbar MH, Ahmed OH, Jamaluddin AS, Nik Ab. Majid NM, Abdul-Hamid H, Jusop S, Hassan A, Yusof KH, Abdu A. 2010. Differences in Soil Physical and Chemical Properties of Rehabilitated and Secondary Forests. American Journal of Applied Sciences 7: 1200-1209.
Auykim A, Duangsathaporn K, Prasomsinb P. 2017. Growth of teak regenerated by coppice and stump planting in Mae Moh Plantation, Lampang province, Thailand. Agriculture and Natural Resources 51: 273-277
Badilla Y, Xavier A, Murilo O, Paiva HN. 2016. IBA efficiency on mini-cutting rooting from teak (Tectona grandis Linn F.) clones. RevistaÁrvore 40: 477-485
Bailey J, Harjanto NA. 2005. Teak (Tectona grandis L.f.) tree growth, stem quality and health in coppiced plantations in Java, Indonesia. New Forest 30: 55-65.
Fageria NK. 2012. Role of Soil Organic Matter in Maintaining Sustainability of Cropping Systems. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 43: 2063-2113.
Ma Q, Chen L, Du M, Zhang Y, Zhang Y. 2020. Localized and Moderate Phosphorus Application Improves Plant Growth and Phosphorus Accumulation in Rosa multiflora Thunb.ex Murr. via E_cient Root System Development. Forests 11:570
Budiadi, Widiyatno, Ishii H. 2017. Response of a clonal teak plantation to thinning and pruning in Java, Indonesia. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 29: 44-53.
Cazzolla Gatti R, Castaldi S, Lindsell JA, Coomes DA, Marchetti M, Maesano M, Di Paola A, Paparella F, Valentini R. 2015. The impact of selective logging and clearcutting on forest structure, tree diversity and above-ground biomass of African tropical forests. Ecological Research 30: 119–132
Chesworth W. 2008. Encyclopedia of soil science. Springer Netherlands.
Dawson I. 2002. Clone selection and collection. In Jaenicke H, Beniest J (eds). Vegetative tree propagation in agroforestry training guidelines and references. International Centre for Reseach in Agroforestry. Kenya.
Evans J, Turnbull JW. 2004. Plantation forestry in the tropics: The role, silviculture and use of planted forests for industrial, social, environmental and agroforestry purposes. Oxford University Press. Oxford.
Evans J. 2009. Sustainable management and silviculture. In Evans J (ed). Planted Forests: Uses, Impacts and Sustainability. CABI International. Wallingford.
Goh D, Monteuuis O. 2005. Rationale for developing intensive teak clonal plantations, with special reference to Sabah. Bois etForoforestry purposes 285: 5-15.
Guleria V, Vashisht A. 2014. Rejuvenation and adventitious rooting in shoot cuttings of Tectona grandis under protected conditions in new locality of Western Himalayas. Universal Journal of Plant Science 2: 103-106.
Han SI, An JY, Hwang J, Kim SB, Park BB. 2016. The effects of organic manure and chemical fertilizer on the growth and nutrient concentrations of yellow poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera Lin.) in a nursery system. Forest Science and Technology 12: 137-143.
Högberg KA. 2003. Possibilities and limitations of vegetative propagation in breeding and mass propagation of norway spruce (Doctoral Thesis). Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences. http://pub.epsilon.slu.se/403/1/e-version-s294.pdf.
Iskak M. 2005. Productivity of teak clonal plantation within the next 20 years. In Siswamartana S et al. (eds) Seperempat Abad Pemuliaan Jati Perum Perhutani. Pusat Pengembangan Sumber Daya Hutan. Perum Perhutani, Cepu. Pp 28–34. [Indonesian].
Jaenicke H, Beniest J . 2002. Vegetative tree propagation in agroforestry. International Centre for Reseach in Agroforestry. Kenya.
Júnior SA, Alexandre, Alexandre RS, Schmildt RE, Partelli FL,Ferrão, MAG, Mauri AL. 2013. Comparison between grafting and cutting as vegetative propagation methods for conilon coffee plants. Acta Scientiarum. Agronomy35: 461-469.
Kaosa-ard A. 1998. Teak breeding and improvement strategies. In Kashio M, White K (eds). The 2nd regional seminar on teak for the future, Yangon, Myanmar. Thailand, 29 May-3 June 1995, FAO-TEAKNET, 61-81.
Kollert W, Kleine M. 2017a. Introduction. In Kollert W and Kleine M (eds). The global teak study: analysys, evalution and future potential of teak resources. International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO).Viena-Austria. Pp. 15-19.
Kollert W, Kleine M. 2017b. The future of teak - what policy makers and managers need to consider. In Kollert W and Kleine M (eds). The global teak study: analysys, evalution and future potential of teak resources. International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO).Viena-Austria. Pp 9-14.
Li Y, Yang Y, Ou Y, Zhang D , Liu J, Chu G, Zhang Y, Otieno D, Zhou G. 2013. Changes in Forest Soil Properties in Different Successional Stages in Lower Tropical China. PLoS ONE 8(11): e81359.
Mehta P, Rana BS, Baksh H. 2013. Response of fertilizer application (N, P & N+P) on seedling growth of Teak (Tectona grandis LINN.F.). Journal of Recent Advances In Applied Sciences 28:31-34.
Ministry of Environment and Forestry (MOEF). 2019. Statistic of Environment and Forestry 2018. Ministry of Environment and Forestry, Jakarta. Pp. 1-468 [Indonesian].
Naiem M. 2012. Increasing of forest productivity by intensive silviculture: the efficiency strategy of forest land use. In Nugraha A et al. (eds) Darurat Hutan Indonesia, Mewujudkan Arsitektur Baru Kehutanan Indonesia. WanaAksara, Banten. Pp 162–183. [Indonesian].
Palanisamy K, Gireesan K, Nagarajan V, Hegde M. 2009. Selection and clonal multiplication of superior trees of Teak (Tectona grandis) and preliminary evaluation of clones. Journal of Tropical Forest Science 21: 168-174.
Pandey D, Brown C. 2000. Teak: a global overview. Unasylva 51: 3-13.
Pinkard EA, Battaglia M, Mohammed CL 2007. Defoliation and nitrogen effects on photosynthesis and growth of Eucalyptus globules. Tree Physiol.27: 1053-1063.
Sukchan S, Noda I. 2012. Improvement of soil suitability mapping for teak plantations in Northeast Thailand. In Noda I., Vacharangkura T, HimmapanW (eds). Approach to sustainable forestry of indigenous tree species in Northeast Thailand. Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS). Tsukuba-Japan. Pp 27-32.
Sulaeman, Suparto, Eviati. 2005. Chemistry analysis guideline for soil, plant, water and fertilizer. Indonesia Soil Research Institute, Indonesia. [Indonesian].
Tangmitcharoen S, Nimpila S, Phuangjumpee J, Piananurak P. 2012. Two-year results of a clonal test of teak (Tectona grandis L.f.) in the Northeast of Thailand. In Noda I, Vacharangkura T, Himmapan W (eds). Approach to sustainable forestry of indigenous tree species in Northeast Thailand. Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS). Tsukuba-Japan. Pp. 19-22.
Thuynsma R, Kleinert A, KossmannJ , Valentine AJ, Hills PN. 2016. The effects of limiting phosphate on photosynthesis and growth of Lotus japonicas. South African Journal of Botany 104:244-248.
Vásquez-Grandón A, Donoso PJ, Gerding V. 2018. Forest Degradation: When Is a Forest Degraded?. Forests 9:726
Wang M, Zheng Q, Shen Q,Guo S. 2013. The critical role of potassium in plant stress response. International Journal of Molecular Science. 14: 7370-7390.
Wang M, Shi S, Lin F, Hao Z, Jiang P, Dai G. 2012. Effects of soil water and nitrogen on growth and photosynthetic response of Manchurian ash (Fraxinus mandshurica) seedlings in Northeastern China. PLOS ONE 7(2): e30754.
Whalen JK, Chang C, Clayton GW, Carefoot JP. 2000. Cattle manure amendments can increase the pH of acid soils. Soil SciSoc Am J. 64(3):962-966.
Wichiennopparat W, Wanpinit M, Nimpila S. 2012. A preliminary result of soil improvement trial on teak in Khon Kaen, Thailand. In Noda I, Vacharangkura T, HimmapanW (eds). Approach to sustainable forestry of indigenous tree species in Northeast Thailand. Japan International Research Center for Agricultural Sciences (JIRCAS). Tsukuba-Japan. Pp.23-26.
Xu L, Dong Y, Fan Z, Kong J, Liu S, Bai X. 2013. Effects of the application of exogenous NO at different growth stage on the physiological characteristics of peanut grown in Cd-contaminated soil. J Plant Interact. 9: 285-296.
Zhou Z, Liang K, Xu D, Zhang Y, Huang G, Ma H. 2012. Effects of calcium, boron and nitrogen fertilization on the growth of teak (Tectona grandis) seedlings and chemical property of acidic soil substrate. New Forests 43: 231-243.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- AQMAL NUR JIHAD, BUDIADI, WIDIYATNO, Growth response of Dendrocalamus asper on elevational variation and intra-clump spacing management , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 9 (2021)
- GUDIWIDAYANTO SAPTO PUTRO, SRI NUGROHO MARSOEM, JOKO SULISTYO, SURYO HARDIWINOTO, The growth of three teak (Tectona grandis) clones and its effect on wood properties , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 6 (2020)
- AMILDA AURI, ENY FARIDAH, SUMARDI, SURYO HARDIWINOTO, The effect of crown pruning and induction of Acremonium sp. on agarwood formation in Gyrinops caudata in West Papua, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 7 (2021)
- SRI RAHAYU, WIDIYATNO, DWI TYANINGSIH ADRIYANTI , Pathogenesis of gall-rust disease on Falcataria moluccana in areas affected by Mount Merapi eruption in Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 4 (2020)
- SRI RAHAYU PRASTYANINGSIH, SURYO HARDIWINOTO, MUSYAFA, CAHYONO AGUS DWI KORANTO, Diversity of termites (Isoptera) on industrial forest plantation of Eucalyptus pellita stands of tropical ecosystem in Riau, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 11 (2020)
- NESTY PRATIWI ROMADINI, SAPTO INDRIOKO, WIDIYATNO, ENY FARIDAH, YENI W.N. RATNANINGRUM, Genetic diversity in seedling populations of Dipterocarpus gracilis in Kecubung Ulolanang Nature Conservation Reserve, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 3 (2021)
- GUNAWAN NUGRAHANTO, MOHAMMAD NA’IEM, SAPTO INDRIOKO, ENY FARIDAH, WIDIYATNO, ERLANGGA ABDILLAH, Genetic parameters for resin production of Pinus merkusii progeny test collected from three landraces in Banyumas Barat Forest District, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 4 (2022)
- FRANCISCUS XAVERIUS SUSILO, INDRIYATI INDRIYATI, SURYO HARDIWINOTO, Diversity and Abundance of Beetle (Coleoptera) Functional Groups in a Range of Land Use System in Jambi, Sumatra , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 10 No. 4 (2009)
- RIKA BELA RAHMAWATI, WIDIYATNO WIDIYATNO, SURYO HARDIWINOTO, BUDIADI BUDIADI, WIDYANTO DWI NUGROHO, ARIS WIBOWO, DIAN RODIANA, Effect of spacing on growth, carbon sequestration, and wood quality of 8-year-old clonal teak plantation for sustainable forest teak management in Java Monsoon Forest, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 8 (2022)
- BOY A. MARPAUNG, BUDIADI BUDIADI, AMBAR PERTIWININGRUM, LINA D. LESTARI, HANDOJO H. NURJANTO, WIDIYATNO WIDIYATNO, Interspecific associations of mangrove species and their preferences for edaphic factors and water quality , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 9 (2022)