Abstract. Trianto A, Radjasa OK, Subagiyo, Purnaweni H, Bahry MS, Djamaludin R, Tjoa A, Singleton I, Diele K, Evan D. 2021. Potential of fungi isolated from a mangrove ecosystem in Northern Sulawesi, Indonesia: Protease, cellulase and anti-microbial capabilities. Biodiversitas 22: 1717- 1724. The high and relatively unexplored diversity of fungi present in the mangrove ecosystem represents a source of novel biotechnological importance. This study explored the potential of fungi isolated from the mangrove ecosystems to produce proteases and cellulases (commercially important enzymes) and their ability to inhibit pathogenic Vibrio species. Random samples of root, branch, leaf, sediments and litters were collected from 5 different mangrove sites in Manado, North Sulawesi, as a source of fungal isolates. The fungi were isolated on malt extract agar (MEA) and potato dextrose agar (PDA). The isolates were identified mainly based on the molecular methods (18S gene sequence) and examined for their ability to produce proteases, cellulases, and activity against several Vibrio species. Altogether 288 species of fungi were isolated from all samples. The fungi, isolated from leaves showed the highest diversity. A fungal isolate 19 Mba-C2-1 Fusarium equiseti from Avicennia sp. leaf showed the highest protease activity. While, the isolate 19 MT-05-3 Hypocrea sp. from sediment had the highest cellulase activity. From the root of Rhizophora sp., the isolate 19 MT-04-3 identified as Trichoderma viride had the strongest activity against a range of Vibrio species. This work indicates the high potential of fungi isolated from mangrove ecosystems as a source of commercially important enzymes and novel antimicrobial compounds.
Brown B, Djamaluddin R. 2017. Ecological Mangrove Rehabilitation in Tiwoho Village , Bunaken National Marine Park , North Sulawesi , IndonesiaCenter for International Forestry Research 1–40.
Chi WC, Chen W, He CC, Guo SY, Cha HJ, Tsang LM, Ho TW, Pang KL. 2019. A highly diverse fungal community associated with leaves of the mangrove plant Acanthus ilicifolius var. xiamenensis revealed by isolation and metabarcoding analysesPeerJ 1–24.
Djamaluddin R. 2018. The mangrove flora and their physical habitat characteristics in bunaken national park, North Sulawesi, IndonesiaBiodiversitas 19: 1303–1312.
Elliott ML. 2019. Pestalotiopsis ( Pestalotia ) Diseases of Palm 1Disease Management 1–3.
Hadika A, Karuniasa M. 2020. Mangrove’s Vegetation Structure and Composition (A Study: Manado City, North Sulawesi Province). 2020.
Hossain MM. 2016. On identifying the SARIMA Model to forecast the humidity of some selected stations in BangladeshInternational Journal of Environmental Sciences 6: .
Igiri BE, Okoduwa SIR, Idoko GO, Akabuogu EP, Adeyi AO, Ejiogu IK. 2018. Toxicity and Bioremediation of Heavy Metals Contaminated Ecosystem from Tannery Wastewater: A ReviewJournal of Toxicology 1–16.
Immaculatejeyasanta K, Madhanraj P, Patterson J, Panneerselvam A. 2011. Case study on the extra cellular enzyme of marine fungi associated with mangrove driftwood of Muthupet Mangrove , Tamil Nadu , IndiaJournal of Pharmacy Research 4: 1385–1387.
Indarsih R, Masruri MS. 2019. Mangrove conservation as an abration strategy risk reduction based on ecosystem in the coastal area of the Rembang RegencyIOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science 271: 1–10.
Kamath P, Subrahmanyam VM, Rao J, Raj P. 2010. Optimization of cultural conditions for protease production by a fungal speciesIndian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences 72: 161–166.
Kelecom A. 2002. Secondary metabolites from microorganismsAnais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências 74: 153–177.
Krauss F, Bärlocher F, Krauss GJ. 2011. Effects of pollution on aquatic hyphomycetesScience of the Total Environment 409: 1651–1657.
Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K. 2016. MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis Version 7.0 for Bigger DatasetsMolecular biology and evolution 33: 1870–1874.
Lee NLY, Huang D, Quek ZBR, Lee JN, Wainwright BJ. 2019. Mangrove-associated fungal communities are differentiated by geographic location and host structureFrontiers in Microbiology 10: 1–9.
Li L, Wang L, Zhang C, Chen P, Luo X. 2018. A case of Vibrio vulnificus related wound infection diagnosed by next-generation sequencingIDCases 15: e00497.
Lusi S, Sari A, Setyaningsih R, Fitriatul N, Wibowo A. 2017. Isolation and screening of cellulolytic fungi from Salacca zalacca leaf litterBiodiversitas, Journal of Biological Diversity 18: 1282–1288.
Maitig AMA, Alhoot MAM, Tiwari K. 2018. Isolation and screening of extracellular protease enzyme from fungal isolates of soilJournal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 12: 2059–2067.
Maria GL, Sridhar KR. 2002. Richness and diversity of filamentous fungi on woody litter of mangroves along the west coast of IndiaCurrent Science 83: 1573–1580.
Nehren U, Ho Dac Thai H, Trung ND, Raedig C, Alfonso S. 2017. Sand Dunes and Mangroves for Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation in the Coastal Zone of Quang Nam Province, VietnamWater Resources Development and Management 201–222.
Ojuederie OB, Babalola OO. 2017. Microbial and plant-assisted bioremediation of heavy metal polluted environments: A reviewInternational Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 14: .
Pringgenies D, Widiyadmi R, Yudiati E, Bahry MS, Djunaedi A. 2018. Potentials of Mangrove Fruit Extract Xylocarpus granatum for Aedes aegypti Mosquito RepellentJournal of Tropical Marine Science 1: 1–6.
Ramesh K, Natarajan M, Sridhar H, Uma Vanitha M, Umamaheswari S. 2014. Anti-vibrio activity of mangrove and mangrove associates on shrimp pathogen, Vibrio harveyi VSH5Global Veterinaria 12: 270–276.
Ruete A, Snäll T, Jönsson M. 2016. Dynamic anthropogenic edge effects on the distribution and diversity of fungi in fragmented old-growth forestsEcological Applications 26: 1475–1485.
Saiya HG, Katoppo DR. 2015. Waste management of shrimp farms as starting point to develop integrated farming systems (case study?: Kuwaru Coast , Bantul , Yogyakarta , Indonesia)Journal of Degraded and Mining Lands Management 3: 423–432.
Selvi KV, Sivakumar T. 2013. Original Research Article Isolation , identification and Characterization of Fusarium species from mangrove habitat of Pichavaram , Tamil Nadu , IndiaInternational Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences 2: 33–49.
Setyati WA, Habibi AS, Subagiyo S, Ridlo A, S N, Pramesti R. 2016. Skrining Dan Seleksi Bakteri Simbion Spons Penghasil Enzim Ekstraseluler Sebagai Agen Bioremediasi Bahan Organik Dan Biokontrol Vibriosis Pada Budidaya UdangJurnal Kelautan Tropis 19: 11.
Sibero MT, Herdikiawan D, Radjasa OK, Sabdono A, Trianto A, Triningsih DW. 2018. Antibacterial activity of sponge associated fungi against vibriosis agents in shrimp and its toxicity to Litopenaeus vannameiAACL Bioflux 11: 10–18.
Sivakumar T. 2013. A review on biodiversity of marine and mangrove fungiInternational Journal of Current Research and Academic Review 1: 26–44.
de Souza PM, de Assis Bittencourt ML, Caprara CC, de Freitas M, de Almeida RPC, Silveira D, Fonseca YM, Filho EXF, Pessoa Junior A, Magalhães PO. 2015. A biotechnology perspective of fungal proteasesBrazilian Journal of Microbiology 46: 337–346.
Sridhar KR, Seetharam RN. 2001. Aquatic hyphomycetes and leaf litter processing in unpolluted and polluted habitats. 2001, Georgia USA.
Steiger MG, Vitikainen M, Uskonen P, Brunner K, Adam G, Pakula T, Penttilä M, Saloheimo M, MacH RL, Mach-Aigner AR. 2011. Transformation system for hypocrea jecorina (trichoderma reesei) that favors homologous integration and employs reusable bidirectionally selectable markersApplied and Environmental Microbiology 77: 114–121.
Thatoi H, Taylor P, Behera BC, Mishra RR. 2013. Mycology?: An International Journal on Fungal Biology Ecological role and biotechnological potential of mangrove fungi?: a reviewMycology 4: 54–71.
Trianto A, Sabdono A, Radjasa OK, Pramesti R, Taufiq N, Bahry MS, Triningsih DW, Sulistiowati S, Afriyanto R. 2019. Optimization Production of Antifungal Substance from a Sponge-associated Trichoderma harzianum cultivated in the Tofu Dregs and Rice BranResearch Journal of Biotechnology 14: 68–73.
Wang ML, Lu CH, Xu QY, Song SY, Hu ZY, Zheng ZH. 2013. Four new citrinin derivatives from a marine-derived Penicillium sp. fungal strain. Molecules 18: 5723–5735.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- LIA KUSMITA, HANDUNG NURYADI, PRASTYO ABI WIDYANANTO, SAKTI MUCHLISSIN, AGUS SABDONO, AGUS TRIANTO, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, Bioactivity of carotenoid produced by soft coral symbiotic microorganisms from Panjang and Karimunjawa Island, Central Java, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 2 (2021)
- MUHAMMAD EVY PRASTIYANTO, APRILIA INDRA KARTIKA, SRI DARMAWATI, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, Bioprospecting of bacterial symbionts of sponge Spongia officinalis from Savu Sea, Indonesia for antibacterial potential against multidrug-resistant bacteria , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 2 (2022)
- VIVI ENDAR HERAWATI, PINANDOYO, Y.S. DARMANTO, NURMANITA RISMANINGSIH, SETO WINDARTO, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, The effect of fermented duckweed (Lemna minor) in feed on growth and nutritional quality of tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 7 (2020)
- RHESI KRISTIANA, MADA TRIANDALA SIBERO, MACELLYNE YOHANNA FARISA, DIAH AYUNINGRUM, DIO DIRGANTARA, MUHAMMAD HANAFI, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, AGUS SABDONO, AGUS TRIANTO, Antibacterial potential of nudibranch-associated bacteria from Saparua and Nusa Laut Islands, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 7 (2019)
- MADA TRIANDALA SIBERO, RUDHI PRIBADI, STEFANIE JESSICA HENNY LARASATI, MARK S CALABON, AGUS SABDONO, SUBAGIYO, EVAN HANSEL FREDERICK, Diversity of sponge-associated fungi from a mangrove forest in Kemujan Island, Karimunjawa National Park, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 12 (2021)
- VIVI ENDAR HERAWATI, PINANDOYO, RESTIANA WISNU ARIYATI, NURMANITA RISMANINGSIH, SETO WINDARTO, SLAMET BUDI PRAYITNO, Y.S. DARMANTO, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, Effects of Caulerpa lentillifera added into culture media on the growth and nutritional values of Phronima pacifica, a natural fish-feed crustacean , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 1 (2021)
- AGUS TRIANTO, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, MADA TRIANDALA SIBERO, AGUS SABDONO, DWI HARYANTI, WA ODE MARDHIYYAH ZILULLAH, ANNISA RORO SYANINDYTA, MUHAMMAD SYAIFUDIEN BAHRY, PRASTYO ABI WIDIANANTO, MUHAMAD HELMI, HARYO DWITO ARMONO, SUPRIADI, YASUHIRO IGARASHI, The effect of culture media on the number and bioactivity of marine invertebrates associated fungi , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 1 (2020)
- ALDI PRATAMA WIJAYA, AGUS SABDONO, MADA TRIANDALA SIBERO, AGUS TRIANTO, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, Antimicrobial activity of nudibranch Chromodoris lineolata associated bacteria against skin diseases pathogens from Jepara Coastal Waters, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 4 (2022)
- DIAH AYUNINGRUM, RHESI KRISTIANA, AYUNDA AINUN NISA, SEPTHY KUSUMA RADJASA, SAKTI IMAM MUCHLISSIN, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, AGUS SABDONO, AGUS TRIANTO, Bacteria associated with tunicate, Polycarpa aurata, from Lease Sea, Maluku, Indonesia exhibiting anti-multidrug resistant bacteria , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 4 (2019)
- MADA TRIANDALA SIBERO, EVAN HANSEL FREDERICK, AGUS SABDONO, DIAH PERMATA WIJAYANTI, DELIANIS PRINGGENIES, OCKY KARNA RADJASA, DEWI SESWITA ZILDA, RETNO MURWANI, First report of seaweed-associated yeast from Indonesia: Species composition and screening of their polysaccharides-degrading enzymes , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 3 (2022)