Abstract. Saifudin, Shafira S, Dwiranti A, Salamah A. 2021. Short Communication: Analysis of the chromosome numbers of Zinnia elegans Jacq. in single, double, and pom-pom flowers. Biodiversitas 22: 2771-2777. Zinnia elegans Jacq. is highly valued as an ornamental plant with a variety of flower colors, sizes, and shapes. Polyploidization has been reported in Z. elegans with pom-pom flowers, nevertheless, the variation in chromosome numbers of various flower shapes has yet to be investigated. This study aimed to analyze the chromosome numbers of Z. elegans Jacq. cultivar “California Giant,” “Lilliput,” and “Cactus Flowered Mix” with single, double, and pom-pom flowers to determine their variations and identify the morphology of the flowers. Chromosomes were prepared using the squashing method, and images were analyzed using the Chromosome Image Analyzing System (CHIAS) IV. The minimum of 5 slides was prepared for each flower type from each cultivar. The results show that the three cultivars are diploid plants (2n = 24) with varying flower morphology. The single and double flowers of Z. elegans “Lilliput” and the single flower of “Cactus Flowered Mix” showed no variation in chromosome numbers. In contrast, chromosome number variation was found in the pom-pom flower of Z. elegans “California Giant” (2n = 22, 24, 48) and the double flower of “Cactus Flowered Mix” (2n = 9, 13, 15, 24). Two cultivars, Z. elegans “California Giant” and Z. elegans “Cactus Flowered Mix,” were successfully analyzed using CHIAS IV. Statistical analysis using a t-test (? = 0.05) showed that the total chromosome length of Z. elegans “California Giant” (2n = 24) was significantly greater than that of Z. elegans “Cactus Flowered Mix” (2n = 24). Chromosome satellites were found in both cultivars.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- LULUT DWI SULISTYANINGSIH, MARLINA ARDIYANI, ABINAWANTO ABINAWANTO, ANDI SALAMAH, Short Communication: Phylogenetic analysis and molecular identification of Canar (Smilax spp.) in Java, Indonesia Based on DNA Barcoding Analysis , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 19 No. 2 (2018)
- ANDI SALAMAH, RACHMI LUTHFIKASARI, ASTARI DWIRANTI, Pollen morphology of eight tribes of Asteraceae from Universitas Indonesia Campus, Depok, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 1 (2019)
- ABINAWANTO, TRI ZULISTIANA, RETNO LESTARI, ASTARI DWIRANTI, ANOM BOWOLAKSONO, The genetic diversity of ayam ketawa (Gallus gallus domesticus, Linneaus, 1758) in Bangkalan District, Madura Island, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 6 (2021)
- SAIFUDIN SAIFUDIN, ANDI SALAMAH, Phenotypic plasticity in the ovarium of crested flower of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 5 (2019)
- AFIATRY PUTRIKA, DHITA MUTIARA NABELLA, ANDI SALAMAH, NISYAWATI, ASTARI DWIRANTI, Ultrastructure of Lejeunea spp. leaves surface in a lowland tropical urban forest of Universitas Indonesia Campus, Depok, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 9 (2020)
- INA ERLINAWATI, ABINAWANTO ABINAWANTO, ANDI SALAMAH, RUGAYAH RUGAYAH, Genetic diversity analysis of daluga (Cyrtosperma merkusii) using Sequence-Related Amplified Polymorphism in Siau, Sangihe and Talaud Islands, North Sulawesi, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 19 No. 6 (2018)