Abstract. Tarigan MRM, Corebima AD, Zubaidah S, Rohman F. 2021. Arthropods discovered in lower and upper pitchers of Nepenthes at Rampa-Sitahuis Hill, North Sumatra, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 22: 5358-5366. This research aimed to identify the families of arthropods trapped in the upper and lower pitchers of Nepenthes in Rampa Sitahuis Hill Area, North Sumatra, Indonesia. This descriptive qualitative research used an experimental method of data analysis. The arthropods were obtained from the upper and lower pitchers of N. rafflesiana, N. gracilis, N. eustachya, N. ampullaria, and N. sumatrana. Consequently, ten families of arthropods, namely Culicidae, Formicidae, Araneidae, Calliphoridae, Rhyparochromidae, Salticidae, Curculionidae, Blattellidae, Coccinellidae, and Tridactylidae were identified. Culicidae and Formicidae were the most abundant arthropods trapped in Nepenthes’ lower and upper pitchers because Nepenthes functioned as a microhabitat and breeding ground for Culicidae (adult mosquitoes) and Formicidae (ant larvae). Thus, these species established a mutualistic symbiosis in which ants used the tendrils of Nepenthes to lay their eggs and collected nectar generated by the honey glands, while the egg-laying process aids in the pitcher’s breakdown process.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- MARKUS IYUS SUPIANDI, SUSRIYATI MAHANAL, SITI ZUBAIDAH, HENDRIKUS JULUNG, BENEDIKTUS EGE, Ethnobotany of traditional medicinal plants used by Dayak Desa Community in Sintang, West Kalimantan, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 5 (2019)
- WISANTI, DURAN COREBIMA ALOYSIUS, SITI ZUBAIDAH, SRI RAHAYU LESTARI, Variation in morphological characters of Marsilea crenata living in floating aquatic, emergent aquatic, and terrestrial habitats , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 7 (2021)
- MARIA MONICHA FAOT, SITI ZUBAIDAH, HERU KUSWANTORO, Genetic correlation and path analysis of agronomical traits of soybean (Glycine max) lines infected by CpMMV , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 6 (2019)
- PANJI HANDOKO BADIARAJA, SITI ZUBAIDAH, HERU KUSWANTORO, Maternal effect of agronomic and morphological characters on cluster structure of F3 soybean lines , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 2 (2021)
- ABDU MAS'UD, A.D COREBIMA, MOHAMMAD AMIN, FATCHUR ROHMAN, RAPD based molecular analysis genetic diversity of Ornithoptera croesus found in Bacan Island, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 19 No. 4 (2018)
- MARKUS IYUS , BENEDIKTUS EGE, HENDRIKUS JULUNG, SITI ZUBAIDAH, SUSRIYATI MAHANAL, Ethnobotany of traditional medicine in Dayak Jangkang Tribe, Sanggau District, West Kalimantan, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 12 (2021)