Abstract. Bowolaksono A, Mayasari A, Sundari AM, Simamora ATJ, Suryaningsih R, Suryawan A, Simamora ATJ, Abinawanto, Sjahfirdi L, Hasna A, Supriatna J, Kyes RC. 2022. Urine biochemical profile analysis and transabdominal ultrasonography for pregnancy detection in the endangered lowland anoa (Bubalus depressicornis). Biodiversitas 23: 6056-6061. The population of lowland anoas (Bubalus depressicornis) has decreased significantly due to illegal hunting and habitat loss. As such, the urgency in developing successful ex-situ conservation programs cannot be overstated. Ex-situ breeding programs of anoas, however, are hindered by difficulties in early pregnancy detection. The failure to detect pregnancy at an early stage often results in miscarriage due to repeated breeding attempts of unconfirmed pregnant females. Moreover, frequent false heat during 5 to 6 months of pregnancy corroborated the repeated breeding of pregnant females. Therefore, early detection techniques are needed to improve breeding success. The present study evaluated the use of urine biochemical profiles as a minimally invasive approach for early pregnancy detection and transabdominal ultrasonography as a confirmation tool of false heat in four lowland anoas. Statistical analysis showed that glucose and protein level were significantly elevated during pregnancy since the 0 days of post-mating (p<0.05) and consistently higher compared to the non-pregnant period. Meanwhile, transabdominal ultrasonography successfully identified organ structures and development by the 155th, 176th, 180th, and 191st days of pregnancy. The present study suggests that urine biochemical data provide a promising, minimally invasive approach to early pregnancy detection in anoas. Incorporating urine data and ultrasonography can significantly help to maintain pregnancy by validating false heat.
Acosta TJ, Hayashi KG, Matsui M, Miyamoto A. Changes in follicular vascularity during the first follicular wave in lactating cows. J Reprod Dev. 2005;51(2):273-280.
Ali A, Hayder M. Ultrasonographic assessment of embryonic, fetal and placental development in ossimi sheep. Small Rumin Res. 2007;73(1-3):277-282.
Alto WA. No need for glycosuria/proteinuria screen in pregnant women. J Fam Pract. 2005;54(11):978-983.
Burton JA, Hedges S, Mustari AH. The taxonomic status, distribution and conservation of the lowland anoa Bubalus depressicornis and mountain anoa Bubalus quarlesi. Mammal Rev. 2005;35(1):25-50.
Burton, J., Wheeler, P. & Mustari, A. 2016. Bubalus depressicornis. The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species 2016: e.T3126A46364222. https://dx.doi.org/10.2305/IUCN.UK.2016-2.RLTS.T3126A46364222.en
Dejneka GJ, Ochota M, Bielas W, Ni?a?ski W. Dystocia after Unwanted Mating as One of the Risk Factors in Non-Spayed Bitches-A Retrospective Study. Animals (Basel). 2020;10(9):1697.
Dijkhuizen TJ, van Eerdenburg FJ. Behavioural signs of oestrus during pregnancy in lactating dairy cows. Vet Q. 1997;19(4):194-196.
Hildebrandt TB, Göritz F, Hermes R. Ultrasonography: an important tool in captive breeding management in elephants and rhinoceroses. Eur. J. Wildl. Res. 2006;52:23-27.
Ingawale MV, Bakshi SA, Birade HS, Chinchkar SR, Gulavane SU. Early detection of pregnancy using ultrasonography in buffaloes. Buffalo Bull. 2012;31(4):202-208.
Johnson CA. Glucose homeostasis during canine pregnancy: insulin resistance, ketosis, and hypoglycemia. Theriogenology. 2008;70(9):1418-1423.
Jones AK, Gately RE, McFadden KK, Hoffman ML, Pillai SM, Zinn SA, Govoni KE, Reed SA. Ultrasound during mid?gestation: Agreement with physical foetal and placental measurements and use in predicting gestational age in sheep. Reprod Domest Anim. 2016; 52(4):649-654.
Katiyar R, Prasad S, Gupta HP. Total protein and glucose profil of urine during early pregnancy in buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Life Sci Bull. 2015;12(1):73-75.
Khan MM, Prasad S, Khan FA, Gupta HP. Investigation of differences in biochemical and mineral composition of urine between pregnant and non-pregnant crossbred dairy cattle. Iran J Appl Anim Sci. 2015;5(4):787-792.
Kim MJ. Transrectal ultrasonography of anorectal diseases: advantages and disadvantages. Ultrasonography. 2015;34(1):19-31.
Kurzweil A, Martin J. Transabdominal Ultrasound. [Updated 2020 Aug 13]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK534813/
Lamb, G.C.; Fricke, P.M. Ultrasonography-early pregnancy diagnosis and fetal sexing. Applied Reproductive Strategies in Beef Cattle, University of Nebraska, Nebraska, 1-2 September 2004.
Mannion CA, Gray-donald K, Koski KG. Association of low intake of milk and vitamin D during pregnancy with decreased birth weight. Can Med Assoc J. 2006;174(9):1-5.
Mayasari A, Suryawan A, Christita M, Simamora ATJ, Abinawanto A, Suryanda A, Bowolaksono A. Vaginal swab cytology aplication to determine the estrous cycle of lowland anoa (Bubalus depressicornis, smith, 1927) in captivity. In: MATEC Web of Conf; 2018. p. 1-5.
Medan MS, Abd El-Aty AM. Advances in ultrasonography and its applications in domestic ruminants and other farm animals reproduction. J Adv Res. 2010;1(2),123-128.
Miranda SA, Leão DL, Oliveira KG, Sodré IS, Domingues SFS. Gestational ultrasonography and dopplerfluxometry in capuchin monkeys (Sapajus apella) zoometric. Theriogenology. 2018;108:63-73.
Naikoo M, Patel DM, Derashri HJ. Early pregnancy diagnosis by transrectal ultrasonography in mehsana buffaloes (Bubalus bubalis). Buffalo Bull. 2013;32(2);120-125.
Persson B, Hansson U. Hypoglycaemia in pregnancy. Baillieres Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1993;7(3):731-739.
Petrujki? BT, Cojki? A, Petrujki? K, Jeremi? I, Mašulovi? D, Dimitrijevi? V, Savi? M, Peši? M, Beier RC. Transabdominal and transrectal ultrasonography of fetuses in württemberg ewes: Correlation with gestational age. Anim Sci J. 2015;87(2):197-201.
Rawat P, Bathla S, Baithalu R, Yadav ML, Kumar S, Ali SA, Tiwari A, Lotfan M, Naru J, Jena M, Behere P, Balhara AK, Vashisth R, Singh I, Dang A, Kaushik JK, Mohanty TK, Mohanty AK. Identification of potential protein biomarkers for early detection of pregnancy in cow urine using 2D DIGE and label free quantitation. Clin Proteomics. 2016;13(15):1-14.
Hohnholz T, Volkmann N, Gillandt K, Waßmuth R, Kemper N. Risk Factor for Dystocia and Perinatal Mortality in Extensively Kept Angus Suckler Cows in Germany. Agriculture.
Romano JE, Christians CJ. Early pregnancy diagnosis by transrectal ultrasonography in ewes. Small Ruminant Res. 2008;77(1):51-57.
Romano JE, Thompson JA, Forrest DW, Westhusin ME, Tomaszweski MA, Kraemer DC. Early pregnancy diagnosis by transrectal ultrasonography in dairy cattle. Theriogenology. 2006;66(4):1034-1041.
Schmid D, Schiess A, Tustain G, Fleisch A, Bollwein H, Janett F. Sonographische Trächtigkeitsunter- suchung und Bestimmung von Anzahl und Alter der Feten beim Schaf [Sonographic diagnosis of pregnancy and determination of fetal number and gestational age in ewes]. Schweiz. Arch. Tierheilkd. 2016;158(2):93-101.
Yuwono K, Hidayati W. Studi deskriptif volume urin 24 jam pada ibu hamil [Descriptive study of 24-hours urine volume in pregnant women]. Jurnal Keperawatan Diponegoro. 2012;1(1):124-131.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- NAJMI FIRDAUS, SUPRIATNA, JATNA SUPRIATNA, Ecosystem services research trends in Indonesia: a bibliometric analysis , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 2 (2022)
- AHMAD DWI SETYAWAN, JATNA SUPRIATNA, NISYAWATI, ILYAS NURSAMSI, SUTARNO, SUGIYARTO, SUNARTO, PRAKASH PRADAN, SUGENG BUDIHARTA, ARI PITOYO, SAPTA SUHARDONO, PRABANG SETYONO, MUHAMMAD INDRAWAN, Predicting potential impacts of climate change on the geographical distribution of mountainous selaginellas in Java, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 10 (2020)
- TJIONG GIOK PIN, JATNA SUPRIATNA, NOVERITA DIAN TAKARINA, RUDY PARLUHUTAN TAMBUNAN, Mangrove diversity and suitability assessments for ecotourism in Cimalaya Wetan Coast, Karawang District, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 2 (2021)
- GENOVEVA KIRANAPUTRI, LUTHFIRALDA SJAHFIRDI, LIGAYA ITA TUMBELAKA, ARI YANA, SADMOKO KUSUMO PRIYANTO, LESTY YULIETA ANGGARSARI, MARIZAL, Positive reinforcement conditioning as Sumatran tiger's (Panthera tigris sumatrae) social enrichment at Tambling Wildlife Nature Conservation Rescue Centre, Lampung, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 1 (2022)
- ABDUL BASITH, ABINAWANTO, ENI KUSRINI, YASMAN, Genetic diversity analysis and phylogenetic reconstruction of groupers Epinephelus spp. from Madura Island, Indonesia based on partial sequence of CO1 gene , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 10 (2021)
- ASRI A. DWIYAHRENI, HABIBURRACHMAN A.H. FUAD, SUNARYO, TRI EDHI BUDHI SOESILO, CHRIS MARGULES, JATNA SUPRIATNA, Forest cover changes in Indonesia’s terrestrial national parks between 2012 and 2017 , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 3 (2021)
- LULUT DWI SULISTYANINGSIH, MARLINA ARDIYANI, ABINAWANTO ABINAWANTO, ANDI SALAMAH, Short Communication: Phylogenetic analysis and molecular identification of Canar (Smilax spp.) in Java, Indonesia Based on DNA Barcoding Analysis , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 19 No. 2 (2018)
- MARINA SILALAHI, JATNA SUPRIATNA, EKO BAROTO WALUJO, NISYAWATI NISYAWATI, Local knowledge of medicinal plants in sub-ethnic Batak Simalungun of North Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 16 No. 1 (2015)
- ADY SURYAWAN, ISDOMO YULIANTORO, ANITA MAYASARI, MARGARETTA CHRISTI, Identification of Aves, Herpetofauna and Arthropods in Miangas Island (Indonesia), the borderline of Wallacea ecoregion , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 18 No. 4 (2017)
- AHMAD DWI SETYAWAN, JATNA SUPRIATNA, NISYAWATI, ILYAS NURSAMSI, SUTARNO, SUGIYARTO, SUNARTO, PRAKASH PRADAN, SUGENG BUDIHARTA, ARI PITOYO, SAPTA SUHARDONO, PRABANG SETYONO, MUHAMMAD INDRAWAN, Anticipated climate changes reveal shifting in habitat suitability of high-altitude selaginellas in Java, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 11 (2020)