Abstract. Lillo EP, Malaki AB, Alcazar SMT, Redoblando BR, Diaz JLB, Pinote JP, Rosales R, Buot IE Jr. 2020. Native trees in Nug-as forest Key Biodiversity Area, Cebu, Philippines. Biodiversitas 21: 4162-4167. Threatened species, by definition, have a high probability of extinction, and so each of their populations significantly contributes to their survival. This paper presents a list of threatened Native trees in Nug-as forest of the Municipality of Alcoy, Cebu. A list of indicators was used to identify the conservation status of the Native trees at the local level. A total of 135 native trees from 48 families and 105 genera were recorded. Most species belong to the families of Euphorbiaceae, Lauraceae, Moraceae, Clusiaceae, Myrtaceae, Meliaceae, Fabaceae, and Rutaceae. In this study, 62 species were categorized as threatened, and 72 species as Least Concern, while in IUCN classification 19 threatened species were recorded, and 111 taxa considered as Least Concern respectively. Using the DENR method of classification 15 threatened species were recorded, and 115 taxa considered as Not Evaluated. The Nug-as forest was degraded by illegal cutting, kaingin, hunting and charcoal making. Based from Beynen and Townsend analysis, Nug-as forest was categorized as moderately disturbed. While DENR and IUCN declaration on the status of the Philippine native trees take a very long time, threatened plant species would be gone before we know it, considering the destruction rate in the Philippines.
Bankoff G. 2007. One island too many: reappraising the extent of deforestation in the Philippines prior to 1946. Journal of Historical Geography; 33: 314-334.
Beynen PV, and Townsend K. 2006. A Disturbance Index for Karst Environments. Environmental Management. 36(1): 101–116.
Brooks TM, Mittermeier RA, Fonseca GAB, Gerlach J, Hoffmann M, Amoreux JF, Mittermeier CG, Pilgrim JD, Rodrigues ASL. 2006. Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science; 313: 58–61.
CI (Conservation International), DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources), Haribon. 2006. Conservation International Philippines, Department of Environment and Natural Resources [DENR]-Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau, and Haribon Foundation. Priority Sites for Conservation in the Philippines: Key Biodiversity Areas.
DENR. 2017. Department of Environment and Natural Resources. Updated National List of Threatened Philippine Plants and their Categories [Administrative Order No. 2017-11].
Eken G, and Bennun L. 2004. Protected areas design and systems planning: Key requirements for successful planning, site selection and establishment of protected areas. Pages 37–44.
Fernando ES. 2007. Checklist of Species in FBS 21 (Taxonomy of Forest Plants), 2007. 12th edition. 29p.
Flora Fauna International. 2012. Final report. Biodiversity Assessment in the Key Biodiversity Areas of the Southern part of Cebu Island.
IUCN 2017. International Union for Conservation of Nature. IUCN updates 'red list' of endangered species. 2017. Retrieved from https://www.iucn.nl/en/solutions/red-list-of-threatened-species.
Lamoreux JH, Resit AL, Bennum NJ, Collar L, Boitani D, Brakett A, Brautigam TM, Brooks TM, Fonseca GAB, Mittermeier RA. 2003. Value of the IUCN Red List Trends in Ecology and Evolution. 18: 214 – 215.
Lillo EP, Malaki ABB, Alcazar SMT, Nuevo RU, and Rosales R. 2019. Native Trees on Mount Lantoy Key BiodiversityAreas (KBA), Argao, Cebu, Philippines. Philippine Journal of Science 148 (2): 359-371, June 2019. ISSN 0031 – 7683
Myers N, Mittermeier RA, Mittermeier CG, Fonesca GAB, Kent J. 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature; 403(24): 853-858.
Nations J.2004. State of the parks. Fort Collins, CO: National Parks Conservation Association.2004 Retrieved from http://www.npca.org/across_the_nation/park_pulse/about/default.asp
Sopsop LB, and Buot IE Jr. 2009. The Endangered plants of Palawan Island, Philippines. Asia Life Sciences. 18(2): 251-279.
Villanueva ELC, and Buot IE Jr. 2015. Threatened Plant Species of Mindoro, Philippines. IAMURE International Journal of Ecology and Conservation.. Volume 14.Pp; 168 -189.
Wang H, Liu G, Wang Q. 2001. Structural characteristics of effective vegetation for preventing soil erosion. Chinese Journal of Eco-agriculture. 9(2): 54–56.
Wu Q, and Zhao H. 2001. Basic laws of soil and water conservation by vegetation and its summation. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 15(4): 13–16.
Zhang H, Sun Y, Cheng Y, Cheng J. 2006. Effect on surface runoff coefficient of different vegetation types in Jinyun Mountain of Chongqing. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 20(6): 11–14.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- EDGARDO P. LILLO, ARCHIEBALD B. MALAKI, STEVE MICHAEL T. ALCAZAR, RAAMAH ROSALES, BERNARDO R. REDOBLADO, ERWIN PANTINOPLE, RITCHE U. NUEVO, ROBERTO C. CUTILLAR, ARNALDO ALMIRANTE, Diversity and distribution of ferns in forest over limestone in Cebu Island Key Biodiversity Areas (KBAs), Philippines , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 1 (2020)
- EDGARDO P. LILLO, ARCHIEBALD B. MALAKI, STEVE MICHAEL T. ALCAZAR, RAAMAH ROSALES , BERNARDO R. REDOBLADO, JOHN LOU B. DIAZ, ERWIN M. PANTINOPLE, INOCENCIO E. JR BUOT , Inventory of native and mother trees in Key Biodiversity Areas of Cebu Island, Philippines for species selection in local reforestation programs , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 11 (2021)
- ARCHIEBALD BALTAZAR B. MALAKI, STEVE MICHAEL T. ALCAZAR, EDGARDO P. LILLO, RAAMAH C. ROSALES, BERNARDO R. REDOBLADO, JOHN LOU DIAZ, Diversity and conservation status of avifauna in Mount Lantoy Key Biodiversity Areas (KBA) in Cebu Island, Philippines , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 2 (2022)
- HAZEL C. SCOTT, INOCENCIO E. BUOT JR, Leaf architectural analysis of taxonomically ambiguous Hoya lacunosa Blume and Hoya krohniana Kloppenb. & Siar , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 4 (2022)
- STEVE MICHAEL T. ALCAZAR, IRENEO L. LIT JR, CARMELITA M. REBANCOS, AIMEE LYNN A. BARRION-DUPO, ANNA PAULINE O. DE GUIA, NATHANIEL C. BANTAYAN, JAMES DV. ALVAREZ, Short communication: Diversity of cave-dwelling bats in Cebu Island, Philippines , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 7 (2020)
- MENISA A. ANTONIO, INOCENCIO E. BUOT JR., Characterization and delineation of two infraspecific taxa of Dioscorea esculenta (Lour.) Burkill: The leaf architecture approach , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 4 (2021)