Abstract. Fitri L, Yasmin Y, Fauziah, Septiani DA, Suhartono. 2020. Characterization of BSL6 isolates isolated from honeybee hive and to determine its antibacterial activity. Biodiversitas 21: 4859-4865. This study was aimed to characterize BSL6 isolate of bacteria isolated from honeybee hive, and to determine its antimicrobial activity against Staphylococcus aureus and Escherichia coli. In addition, the Minimum Inhibitory Concentration (MIC) value of BSL6 isolate was determined against S. aureus, and content of secondary metabolic compounds was also determined. Characterization was conducted in this study on the basis of morphological observations, physiological tests, and 16S rDNA. The method used in determining MIC value was completely randomized design (CRD) then analyzed by ANOVA test using SPSS application and followed by Tukey test. The analysis conducted to determine the content of secondary metabolites was descriptive type. The results showed that BSL6 isolate morphologically and physiologically belonged to the genus Bacillus, and 16S rDNA test results showed that the isolate had the highest similarity with Bacillus siamensis strain 64X-5. BSL6 isolate was able to inhibit the growth of S. aureus with inhibition zone diameter of 17.87 mm. MIC value of BSL6 against S. aureus was at a concentration of 12.5%. The content of secondary metabolite compounds from BSL6 extract was saponins.
Bisht R, Katiyar A, Singh R, Mittal P. 2011. Antibiotic Resistance-A Global Issue of Concern. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research 2( 2):34-9
Bosshard PP, Abels S, Zbinden R, Böttger EC, Altwegg M. 2003. Ribosomal DNA Sequencing for Identification of Aerobic Gram Positive Rods in the Clinical Laboratory (an 18-Month Evaluation). Journal of Clinical Microbiology 42: 2065-2073.
Claverie JM, Notredame C. 2007. Bioinformatics for Dummies 2nd ed. Wiley Publishing Inc., Indiana.
Cowan ST, Steel KJ. 1993. Manual for The Identification of Medical Bacteria 3rd Edition. Cambridge University Press, London.
Davis WW, Stout TR. 1971. Disc Plate Method of Microbiological Antibiotic Assay. Appl Microbiol 22 (4): 659-665.
Dharmawan IWE, Retno K, Made SP. 2009. Isolation of Streptomyces spp. in Bali Barat National Park and Inhibition Test to Five Diarrheagenic Escherichia coli strain. Jurnal Biologi 13 (1): 1-6.
Drancourt M, Bollet C, Carlioz A, Martelin R, Gayral J P, Raoult D. 2000. 16S Ribosomal DNA Sequence Analysis of a Large Collection of Environmental and Clinical Unindentifiable Bacterial Isolates. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 38: 3623-3630.
Duniaji AS, Wisaniyasa NW, Puspawati NN. 2016. The Potency of Secondary Metabolites of RJP Bacteria in Inhibiting the Growth of Aspergillus flavus. Karya Tulis Ilmiah. Universitas Udayana, Bali.[Indonesia]
Holt JG, Krieg NR, Sneath PHA, Staley JT, William ST. 1994. Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology 9th Edition. William and Wilkins, Baltimore.
Kadaikunnan S, Rejiniemon TS, Khaled JM, Alharbi NS, Mothana R. 2015. In-vitro Antibacterial, Antifungal, Antioxidant and Functional of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. Journal of Annals of Clinical Microbiology and Antimicrobials 14: 9-18.
Lay WB. 1994. Microbial Analysis in the Laboratory 1st Edition. PT. Raja Grafindo Persada, Jakarta. [Indonesia]
Lofty M. 2006. Biological Activity of Bee Propolis in Health Disease. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention: 22-31.
Madduluri S, Rao KB, Sitaram B. 2013. In Vitro Evaluation of Antibacterial Activity of Five Indegenous Plants Extract Against Five Bacterial Pathogens of Human. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 4: 679-684.
Munfaati PN, Evie R, Guntur M. 2014. Antibacterial Compounds Activity of Phyllanthus niruri Extract against the Growth of Shigella dysenteriae In Vitro. Lantera Bio.[Indonesia]
NCBI. 2019. BLAST®. https://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi
Ningsih DR, Zusfahair, Kartika D. 2016. Identifikasi Senyawa Metabolit Sekunder Serta Uji Aktivitas Ekstrak Daun Sirsak Sebagai Antibakteri. Molekul 11: 101-111.[Indonesia]
Nofiani R, Nurbetty S, Sapar A. 2009.. Antimicrobial Activity of Methanol Extract of Sponge Associated Bacteria from Lemukutan Island, West Kalimantan. E-Jurnal Ilmu dan Teknologi Kelautan Tropis 1: 33-41. [Indonesia]
Oonmetta-aree J, Suzuki T, Gasaluck P, Eumkeb G. 2005. Antimicrobial Properties and Action of Galangal (Alpinia galanga Linn.) on Staphylococcus aureus. Elsevier: 1214-1220.
Piccini, C., Antunez, K., and Zunino, P. 2004. An Approach to The Characterization of The Honey Bee Hive Bacterial Flora. Journal of Apicultural Research. 43(3): 101-104.
Rau CH, Yudistira A, Simbala HEI. 2018. Isolation, Molecular Identification using 16S rRNA Gene, and Antibacterial Activity Test of Endophytic Symbionts Bacteria Isolated from Algae Halimeda opuntia. Jurnal Ilmiah Farmasi 7: 2302-2493.
Reybroeck W, Daeseleire E, Barabander H, Herman L. 2012. Antimicrobials in Beekeeping. Veterinary Microbiology 158: 1-11.
Soelama HJJ, Kepel BJ, Siagian KV. 2015. Minimum Inhibitory Concentration (MIC) Test of Seaweed Extract (Eucheuma cottonii) as Antibacterial against Streptococcus mutans . Jurnal e-GiGi 3: 374-379.
Sumpavapol P, Tongyonk L, Tanasupawat S, Chokesajjawatee N, Luxananil P, Visessanguan W. 2010. Bacillus siamensis sp. nov., isolated from salted crab (phoo-khem) in Thailand. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 60: 2364-2370.
Sutton S. 2011. Measurement of Microbial Cells by Optical Density. Journal of Validation Technology 17: 46-49.
Wachidah RN, Kholifa M, Sri R. 2016. The Effect of Giant Honeybee (Apis dorsata) Solution Concentration on the Growth Inhibition of Dominant Gingivitis Porphyromonas gingivalis (In vitro study). Scientific Publications. Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta, West Java. [Indonesia]
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- ABBAN PUTRI FIQA, FAUZIAH FAUZIAH, DEWI AYU LESTARI, SUGENG BUDIHARTA, The importance of in-situ conservation area in mining concession in preserving diversity, threatened and potential floras in East Kalimantan, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 1 (2019)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, WILDA MAHDANI, ZINATUL HAYATI, NURHALIMAH NURHALIMAH , Species distribution of Enterobacteriaceae and non-Enterobacteriaceae responsible for urinary tract infections at the Zainoel Abidin Hospital in Banda Aceh, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 8 (2021)
- SRI RAHAYU, LENNI FITRI, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, Short communication: Endophytic actinobacteria isolated from ginger (Zingiber officinale) and its potential as a pancreatic lipase inhibitor and its toxicity , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 5 (2019)
- LENNI FITRI, MOHAMMAD ADZANNIE BESSANIA, NADIA SEPTI, SUHARTONO SUHARTONO , Isolation and characterization of soil actinobacteria as cellulolytic enzyme producer from Aceh Besar, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 11 (2021)
- FAUZIAH FAUZIAH, MAULINASARI, ESSY HARNELLY, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, LENNI FITRI, Toxicity test of rose periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus) leaves endophytic bacteria using Brine Shrimp Lethality Test (BSLT) method , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 1 (2022)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, ZAHRATUL AINI , Distribution of multidrug-resistant Salmonella spp. recovered from aquatic environment of Banda Aceh, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 2 (2021)
- TEUKU ARMANSYAH, TONGKU NIZWAN SIREGAR, SUHARTONO, AMALIA SUTRIANA, Phytochemicals, characterization and antimicrobial tests of red betel leaves on three solvent fractions as candidates for endometritis phytotherapy in Aceh cattle, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 4 (2022)
- LENNI FITRI, BETTY MAULIYA BUSTAM, Screening of antimicrobial producing strains isolated from the soil of grassland rhizosphere in Pocut Meurah Intan Forest Park, Seulawah, Aceh Besar , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 11 No. 3 (2010)
- LENNI FITRI, Diversity of endophytic actinobacteria isolated from medicinal plants and their potency as pancreatic lipase inhibitor , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 18 No. 3 (2017)