Abstract. Suhartono S, Ismail YS, Aini Z. 2021. Distribution of multidrug-resistant Salmonella spp. recovered from aquatic environment of Banda Aceh, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 22: 881-886. The occurrence of pathogenic bacteria in an aquatic system might increase waterborne infections including salmonellosis. This might raise a concern related to the increasing pathogenic bacteria, including the multidrug-resistant Salmonella spp. in the two major rivers, namely Lamnyong and Krueng Aceh crossing the city of Banda Aceh, Indonesia. The objectives of the present study were to isolate and enumerate Salmonella spp. recovered from aquatic environment in Banda Aceh and to determine their antibiotic susceptibility. Bacterial enumeration was performed using most probable number (MPN) method followed by bacterial isolations using selective media Salmonella-Shigella Agar (SSA); whereas, antibiotic susceptibility test was conducted using a procedure as recommended by the National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. There was no significant Salmonella spp. densities/mL of both locations (p = 0.200) although, on average there was about 441.67 Salmonella spp. MPN/mL in Krueng Aceh as opposed to 20.47 MPN/mL of Lamnyong river. There were 57 Salmonella spp. isolates recovered in the sampling sites, i.e. 38 isolates of Lamnyong and 19 isolates of Krueng Aceh. The results of antibiotic susceptibility tests showed that Salmonella spp. isolates recovered from Lamnyong and Krueng Aceh showed antibiotic resistance to azithromycin, tetracycline, and streptomycin. Moreover, Salmonella spp. isolates also showed high resistance to ofloxacin, ciprofloxacin, dan ceftriaxone. All Salmonella spp. isolates were classified as MDR with the number of isolates resistant to 4-6 antibiotics was 33 (57.9%), whereas those that were resistant to 7-9 antibiotics and over 10 antibiotics were 23 (40.4%%) and 5 (8.8%) respectively. The prevalence of MDR Salmonella spp. in the current study suggest that river remain the major reservoirs for the transmission of the pathogen in aquatic systems. An appropriate assessment and monitoring are necessary to reduce the potential health risks and to ensure water quality in the aquatic environment.
Allen HK, Donato J, Wang HH, Cloud-Hansen KA, Davies J, Handelsman J. 2010. Call of the wild: antibiotic resistance genes in natural environments. Nat Rev Microbiol 8:251-259.
BPS. 2020. Penduduk, Laju Pertumbuhan Penduduk per Tahun, Distribusi Persentase Penduduk, Kepadatan Penduduk, Rasio Jenis Kelamin Penduduk Menurut Kecamatan di Kota Banda Aceh, 2019. BPS Kota Banda Aceh.[Indonesian]
Chiu CH, Wu TL, Su LH, Chu C, Chia JH, Kuo AJ, Chien MS, Lin TY. 2002. The emergence in Taiwan of fluoroquinolone resistance in Salmonella enterica serotype Choleraesuis. N Engl J Med 346:413-419.
Eng SK, Pusparajah P, Ab Mutalib NS, Ser HL, Chan KG, Lee LH. 2015. Salmonella: a review on pathogenesis, epidemiology and antibiotic resistance. Front Life Sci 8:284-293.
Guerra B, Soto S, Helmuth R, Mendoza MC. 2002. Characterization of a self-transferable plasmid from Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium clinical isolates carrying two integron-borne gene cassettes together with virulence and drug resistance genes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:2977-2981.
Guerra B, Soto SM, Argüelles JM, Mendoza MC. 2001. Multidrug resistance is mediated by large plasmids carrying a class 1 integron in the emergent Salmonella enterica serotype [4, 5, 12: i:?]. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 45:1305-1308.
Hadi I, Suhendrayatna S, Muchlisin ZA. 2018. Status mutu air dan kandungan logam berat pada air dan sedimen di muara Krueng Aceh, Kota Banda Aceh. DEPIK Jurnal Ilmu-Ilmu Perairan, Pesisir dan Perikanan 7:91-99. [Indonesian]
Haley BJ, Cole DJ, Lipp EK. 2009. Distribution, diversity, and seasonality of waterborne salmonellae in a rural watershed. Appl Environ Microbiol 75:1248-1255.
Hazards EPoB. 2009. Joint opinion on antimicrobial resistance (AMR) focused on zoonotic infections. EFSA Journal. 7:1372.
Jiménez M, Martinez-Urtaza J, Rodriguez-Alvarez MX, Leon-Felix J, Chaidez C. 2014. Prevalence and genetic diversity of Salmonella spp. in a river in a tropical environment in Mexico. J Water Health 12:874-884.
Kadykalo S, Thomas J, Parmley EJ, Pintar K, Fleury M.. 2020. Antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella and generic Escherichia coli isolated from surface water samples used for recreation and a source of drinking water in southwestern Ontario, Canada. Zoonoses Public Health 67:566-575.
Levantesi C, Bonadonna L, Briancesco R, Grohmann E, Toze S., Tandoi V. 2012. Salmonella in surface and drinking water: Occurrence and water-mediated transmission. Food Res Int 45:587-602.
Li B, Vellidis G, Liu H, Jay-Russell M, Zhao S, Hu Z, Wright A., Elkins CA. 2014. Diversity and antimicrobial resistance of Salmonella enterica isolates from surface water in southeastern United States. Appl Environ Microbiol 80:6355-6365.
Liu H, Whitehouse CA, Li B. 2018. Presence and persistence of Salmonella in water: The impact on microbial quality of water and food safety. Front Public Health 6.
Majowicz SE, Musto J, Scallan E, Angulo FJ, Kirk M, O'Brien SJ, Jones TF, Fazil A, Hoekstra RM, International Collaboration on Enteric Disease “Burden of Illness” Studies. 2010. The global burden of nontyphoidal Salmonella gastroenteritis. Clin Infect Dis 50:882-889.
Massinai A, Tahir A, Abu N. 2019. High concentrations of pathogenic Salmonella spp. during the wet season on bathing beaches in Makassar City, Indonesia. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. Vol. 253. IOP Publishing. 012044.
Ochiai RL, Acosta CJ, Danovaro-Holliday M, Baiqing D, Bhattacharya SK, Agtini MD, Bhutta ZA, Canh DG, Ali M, Shin S, Wain J. 2008. A study of typhoid fever in five Asian countries: disease burden and implications for controls. Bull World Health Organ 86:260-268.
Rath S, Patra B. 2018. Dispersal of antibiotic resistant bacteria into aquatic environment—an Overview. J Water Pollut Control 1:1-3.
Xu Y, Chen J. 2020. Transfer of class 1 integron-mediated antibiotic resistance genes from Salmonella enterica of farm fly origin to susceptible Escherichia coli and Salmonella strains. LWT. 122:109013.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, WILDA MAHDANI, ZINATUL HAYATI, NURHALIMAH NURHALIMAH , Species distribution of Enterobacteriaceae and non-Enterobacteriaceae responsible for urinary tract infections at the Zainoel Abidin Hospital in Banda Aceh, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 8 (2021)
- SRI RAHAYU, LENNI FITRI, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, Short communication: Endophytic actinobacteria isolated from ginger (Zingiber officinale) and its potential as a pancreatic lipase inhibitor and its toxicity , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 5 (2019)
- LENNI FITRI, MOHAMMAD ADZANNIE BESSANIA, NADIA SEPTI, SUHARTONO SUHARTONO , Isolation and characterization of soil actinobacteria as cellulolytic enzyme producer from Aceh Besar, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 11 (2021)
- FAUZIAH FAUZIAH, MAULINASARI, ESSY HARNELLY, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, LENNI FITRI, Toxicity test of rose periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus) leaves endophytic bacteria using Brine Shrimp Lethality Test (BSLT) method , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 1 (2022)
- TEUKU ARMANSYAH, TONGKU NIZWAN SIREGAR, SUHARTONO, AMALIA SUTRIANA, Phytochemicals, characterization and antimicrobial tests of red betel leaves on three solvent fractions as candidates for endometritis phytotherapy in Aceh cattle, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 4 (2022)
- FADHLIAH AMFAR, LENNI FITRI, SUHARTONO, Molecular identification of a new isolate of actinobacteria ATIS61 and characterization of the protease activities , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 3 (2021)
- LENNI FITRI, YEKKI YASMIN, FAUZIAH, DWI ANDRI SEPTIANI, SUHARTONO, Characterization of BSL6 isolates isolated from honeybee hive and to determine its antibacterial activity , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 10 (2020)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, SYARIFAH RAISHA MUHAYYA, The interference of Moringa oleifera leaf extracts to modulate quorum sensing-facilitated virulence factors , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 10 (2019)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, Examination of uropathogenic Escherichia coli strains conferring large plasmids , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 11 No. 2 (2010)