Abstract. Suhartono S, Ismail YS, Muhayya SR. 2019. The interference of Moringa oleifera leaf extracts to modulate quorum sensing-facilitated virulence factors. Biodiversitas 20: 3000-3004. The infections attenuated by the presence of virulence factors might be facilitated by quorum sensing (QS) mechanism. The continuous treatments of bacterial infections with current drugs, however, has developed such pathogenic bacteria more antibiotic-resistant, encouraging to searching for better alternative treatment, such as the use of plant-derived bioactive constituents, including kelor (Moringa oleifera L.). In the present research, kelor (M. oleifera) ethanolic leaf extract was evaluated for their potency as an antibacterial agent to inhibit bacterial virulence factors mediated by quorum sensing mechanism against Chromobacterium violaceum and Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. A phytochemical examination of M. oleifera leaf-ethanolic extracts has been conducted resulting positive detection of alkaloids, steroids, terpenoids, flavonoids, and phenolics or tannins. The extracts had MIC and MBC values of 10 mg/mL and 20 mg/mL, respectively, for both tested bacteria. The ethanolic extracts of M. oleifera leaves also showed potent inhibition of quorum sensing by significantly reducing violacein and pyocyanin production as well as interference of swarming motility and biofilm formation.
Alegbeleye OO. 2017. How Functional is Moringa oleifera? A review of it’s nutritive, medicinal and socioeconomic potential. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 20 (10):1-22.
Aminah S, Ramdhan T, Yanis M. 2015. Nutritional values and functional features of Kelor (Moringa oleifera). Buletin Pertanian Perkotaan. 5(2):35-44 [Indonesian]
August PR, Grossman TH, Minor C, Draper MP, MacNeil IA, Pemberton JM, Call M, Holt D, Osburne MS. 2000. Sequence analyses and functional characterization of the violacein biosynthetic pathway from Chromobacterium violaceum. Journal of Molecular Microbiology and Biotechnology 2:513–519
Bahriyah I, Hayati A, Zayadi H. 2015. Ethnobotanical studies of Kelor (Moringa oleifera) in the village of Somber, sub-district of Tambelangan Disctricts of Sampang Madura. Bioscience-Tropic 1(1): 2338-2805 [Indonesian]
Chen L, Yang J, Yu J, Yao Z, Sun L, Shen Y, Jin Q. 2005. VFDB: a reference database for bacterial virulence factors. Nucleic Acids Research 33: D325-D328.
Choo JH, Rukayadi Y, Hwang JK. 2006. Inhibition of bacterial quorum sensing by vanilla extract. Letters in Applied Microbiology 42:637-641.
?iri? AD, Petrovi? JD, Glamo?lija JM, Smiljkovi? MS, Nikoli? MM, Stojkovi? DS, Sokovi? MD. 2018. Natural products as biofilm formation antagonists and regulators of quorum sensing functions: A comprehensive review update and future trends. South African Journal of Botany120:65-80.
Daniels R, Vanderleyden J, Michiels J. 2004. Quorum sensing and swarming migration in bacteria. FEMS Microbiology Reviews 28:261-289.
De Kievit TR, Iglewski BH. 2000. Bacterial quorum sensing in pathogenic relationships. Infection and immunity 68:4839-4849.
Donlan RM, Costerton JW. 2002. Biofilms: survival mechanisms of clinically relevant microorganisms. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 15:167-193.
Hossain MA, Lee SJ, Park JY, Reza MA, Kim TH, Lee KJ, Suh JW, Park SC. 2015. Modulation of quorum sensing-controlled virulence factors by Nymphaea tetragona (water lily) extract. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 174:482-491.
Jahan MS, Zawawi DD, Abdulkadir AR. 2015. Effect of chlorophyll content and maturity on total phenolic, total flavonoid contents and antioxidant activity of Moringa oleifera leaf (Miracle tree). Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research 7:1147-1152.
Ikalinus R, Widyastuti SK, Setiasih NLE. 2015. Identification of chemical compounds ethanol extract leaf moringa
(Moringa oleifera l) in Bali. Indonesia Medicus Veterinus 4(1):71-79. [Indonesian]
Kalia VC. 2013. Quorum sensing inhibitors: an overview. Biotechnology Advances 31:224-245.
Koh CL, Sam CK, Yin WF, Tan YL, Krishnan T, Chong MY, Chan KG. 2013. Plant-derived natural products as sources of anti-quorum sensing compounds. Sensors. 13:6217-6228.
Lade H, Paul D, Kweon JH. 2014. Quorum quenching mediated approaches for control of membrane biofouling. International Journal of Biological Sciences 10:550-565.
Lee JH, Park JH, Cho HS, Joo SW, Cho MH, Lee J. 2013. Anti-biofilm activities of quercetin and tannic acid against Staphylococcus aureus. Biofouling, 29(5): 491-499.
Llor C, Bjerrum L. 2014. Antimicrobial resistance: risk associated with antibiotic overuse and initiatives to reduce the problem. Therapeutic Advances in Drug Safety 5:229-241.
Nasir S, Soraya DF, Pratiwi D .2010. The utilization of kelor (Moringa oleifera) seed extracts for biodiesel. Jurnal Teknik Kimia 3:29-34. [Indonesian]
Ncube B., Finnie JF, Van Staden J. 2012. In vitro antimicrobial synergism within plant extract combinations from three South African medicinal bulbs. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 139: 81-89.
Noumi E, Snoussi M, Merghni A, NazzaroF, Quindós G, Akdamar G, Mastouri M, Al-Sieni A, Ceylan O. 2017. Phytochemical composition, anti-biofilm and anti-quorum sensing potential of fruit, stem and leaves of Salvadora persica L. methanolic extracts. Microbial Pathogenesis 109:169-176.
Rutherford ST, Bassler BL. 2012. Bacterial quorum sensing: its role in virulence and possibilities for its control. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine 2:a012427.
Saini RK, Sivanesan I, Keum YS. 2016. Phytochemicals of Moringa oleifera: a review of their nutritional, therapeutic and industrial significance. 3 Biotech 6 (203):1-14.
Shahriar M, Hossain I, Mahar AN, Akhter S, Haque A, Bhuiyan M. 2012. Preliminary phytochemical screening, in-vitro antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of five different extracts of Moringa oleifera Leaf. Journal of Applied Pharmaceutical Science 2: 65-68.
Syafradi SA, Nasution AR, Mahdalena M. 2018. Etnobotanical studies on the utilization of medicinal plants in the village of Rema sub-districts od Bukit Tusam Districts of Aceh Tenggara. Prosiding Biotik 4(1):367-380. [Indonesian]
Tremblay J, Déziel E. 2008. Improving the reproducibility of Pseudomonas aeruginosa swarming motility assays. Journal of Basic Microbiology 48: 509-515.
Wardiah, Hasanuddin, Mutmainnah. 2015. Medical ethnobotany of villagers of South Pulo Breuh subdistricts of Pulo Aceh, district of Aceh Besar. Jurnal EduBio Tropika 3 (1):1-50. [Indonesian]
Widowati, I., Efiyati, S., dan Wahyuningtyas, S. 2014. Antibacterial activity assay of kelor (Moringa oleifera) leaf extracts on fresh fish spoilage bacteria (Pseudomonas aeruginosa). Pelita 9: 146-157. [Indonesian]
Wolcott RD, Rhoads DD, Bennett ME, Wolcott BM, Gogokhia L, Costerton JW, Dowd SE. 2010. Chronic wounds and the medical biofilm paradigm. Journal of Wound Care 19:45-53.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, WILDA MAHDANI, ZINATUL HAYATI, NURHALIMAH NURHALIMAH , Species distribution of Enterobacteriaceae and non-Enterobacteriaceae responsible for urinary tract infections at the Zainoel Abidin Hospital in Banda Aceh, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 8 (2021)
- SRI RAHAYU, LENNI FITRI, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, Short communication: Endophytic actinobacteria isolated from ginger (Zingiber officinale) and its potential as a pancreatic lipase inhibitor and its toxicity , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 5 (2019)
- LENNI FITRI, MOHAMMAD ADZANNIE BESSANIA, NADIA SEPTI, SUHARTONO SUHARTONO , Isolation and characterization of soil actinobacteria as cellulolytic enzyme producer from Aceh Besar, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 11 (2021)
- FAUZIAH FAUZIAH, MAULINASARI, ESSY HARNELLY, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, LENNI FITRI, Toxicity test of rose periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus) leaves endophytic bacteria using Brine Shrimp Lethality Test (BSLT) method , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 1 (2022)
- TEUKU ARMANSYAH, TONGKU NIZWAN SIREGAR, SUHARTONO, AMALIA SUTRIANA, Phytochemicals, characterization and antimicrobial tests of red betel leaves on three solvent fractions as candidates for endometritis phytotherapy in Aceh cattle, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 23 No. 4 (2022)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, YULIA SARI ISMAIL, ZAHRATUL AINI , Distribution of multidrug-resistant Salmonella spp. recovered from aquatic environment of Banda Aceh, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 2 (2021)
- FADHLIAH AMFAR, LENNI FITRI, SUHARTONO, Molecular identification of a new isolate of actinobacteria ATIS61 and characterization of the protease activities , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 3 (2021)
- LENNI FITRI, YEKKI YASMIN, FAUZIAH, DWI ANDRI SEPTIANI, SUHARTONO, Characterization of BSL6 isolates isolated from honeybee hive and to determine its antibacterial activity , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 10 (2020)
- SUHARTONO SUHARTONO, Examination of uropathogenic Escherichia coli strains conferring large plasmids , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 11 No. 2 (2010)