Abstract. Hutajulu IBE, Kulla PDK, Retnaningrum E. 2021. Diversity of lactic acid bacteria isolated during fermentation of indigenous cassava obtained from Sumba, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 22: 2561-2570. Traditional fermented food products hold a great significance in the routine diet of Indonesian inhabitants. The present study investigated the diversity of lactic acid bacteria (LAB) found in fermented indigenous cassava, ubi karet busuk, produced in Sumba, East Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia. The isolated LAB was characterized for their phenotypic, biochemical, and molecular traits, which involved 16S rRNA gene sequencing, determination of lactic acid fermentation pathway, and measurement of b-glucosidase and tannase activity in the LAB strains. During fermentation, 15 LAB strains were obtained from the cassava. Among these, 93.33% strains were found to be homofermentative, whereas 6.73% strains displayed heterofermentative traits. BLASTn and phylogenetic analysis classified 15 LAB strains into six species, namely Enterococcus faecium, Enterococcus faecalis, Enterococcus casseliflavus, Leuconostoc mesenteroides, Lactococcus lactis, and Enterococcus sp. Among these, 10 LAB strains displayed b-glucosidase activity, with highest enzyme activity of 7.13 U/mL recorded in L. lactis F14IS3. Interestingly, two of these strains also showed expression of tannase, with F6IS1 strain displaying highest enzyme activity of 38.23 U/mL. Thus, the study results highlighted the suitability of these b-glucosidase and tannase-producing LAB strains to be used as a starter in the fermentation of cassava and other substrates such as vegetables, fruits, and legumes. These strains can also be utilized in animal feed, food, and beverage industries.
Axelsson, L. 2004. Lactic Acid Bacteria: Classification and Physiology. In Salminen, S., Wright, A.V., Ouwehand, A., editors. Lactic Acid Bacteria; Microbiological and Functional Aspects, 3rd edition, revised and expanded. Marcel Dekker Inc. New York.
Dighe, A. S., Jangid, K., Gonzales, J. M., Pidiyar, V. J., Patole, M., Ranade, D and Shouche, Y. 2004. Comparison of 16S rRNA gene sequences of genus Methanobrevibacter. US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health. 4(1):20.
Department of Food Science. 2019. Lactic Acid Bacteria – Homofermentative and Heterofermentative. Dairy Foods Science Notes. Cornell University.
Desmazeaud, M. 1996. Lactic Acid Bacteria in Food: Use and Safety. Cahiers Agricultures. 5 (5), 331-342.
EzBioCloud. 2019. 16S rRNA and 16S rRNA Gene. https://help.ezbiocloud.net/16s-rrna-and-16s-rrna-gene/. Diakses pada tanggal 21/10/2019.
Sapalina, F Retnaningrum, E. 2020. Molecular characterization of lactic acid bacteria producing edible biofilm isolated from kimchi. Biodiversitas 21 (3): 962-968. DOI: 10.13057/biodiv/d210315.
FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations). 2013. Code of Practice for The Reduction of Hydrocyanic Acid (HCN) In Cassava And Cassava Products. CAC/RCP 73. Recommended International Code of Practice For.
Li, S., Pearl, D.K and Doss, H. 1999. Phylogenetic Tree Construction Using Markov Chain Monte Carlo. Journal of the American Statistical Association.
Mount, D.W. 2001. Phylogenetic prediction. In: Bioinformatics, Sequence and Genome Analysis. Cold Spring Harbor laboratory. New York Press pp. 237 – 280.
Nurhikmayani R, Daryono BS, Retnaningrum E. 2019. Isolation and molecular identification of antimicrobial-producing Lactic Acid Bacteria from chao, South Sulawesi (Indonesia) fermented fish product. Biodiversitas 20 (4): 1063-1068. DOI: 10.13057/biodiv/d200418
Ogodo AC, Ugbogu OC, Onyeagba RA, Okereke HC. 2018. In-vitro starch and protein digestibility and proximate composition of soybean flour fermented with lactic acid bacteria (LAB) consortia. Agriculture and Natural Resources 52: 503-509.
Promega. 2018. DNA Purification. The basics of DNA Isolation, Plasmid Growth, and DNA Quantitation. worldwide.promega.com. accessed on 10/11/2019.
Retnaningrum E, Yossi T, Nur’azizah R, Sapalina F, Kulla PDK. 2020. Characterization of a bacteriocin as biopreservative synthesized by indigenous lactic acid bacteria from dadih soya traditional product used in West Sumatra, Indonesia. Biodiversitas 21 (9): 4192-4198. DOI: 10.13057/biodiv/d210933.
Sambrook, J and Russel, D.W. 1989. Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual. New York: Cold-Spring Harbor Laboratory Pr.
Swofford, D.L., Olsen, G.J., Waddell, P.J and Hills, D.M. 1996. Phylogenetic inference. In: Molecular Systematics, 2nd Edition. HILLS, D.M., C. MORITZ and B.K. MABLE (Eds.) Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts. Chap. 5 pp. 407 – 514.
Tandrianto, J., Mintoko, D, K and Gunawan, S. 2014. Pengaruh Fermentasi pada Pembuatan Mocaf (Modified Cassava Flour) dengan Menggunakan lactobacillus plantarum terhadap Kandungan Protein. Jurnal Teknik Pomits. 3(2):143-144.
Yu, J., Wa, G., Manjun, Q., Zhihong, S., Weihong, W., Wenjun, L., Lei, P., Ting, S., Hongmei, W., Bai, Na and Heping, Z. 2012. Identification and characterization of lactic acid bacteria isolated from traditional pickles in Sichuan, China. Journal of Gen Applied Microbial. Key Laboratory of Dairy Biotechnology and Engineering, Education Ministry of P. R. China, Department of Food Science and Engineering, Inner Mongolia Agricultural University, Hohhot 010018, P. R. China.
Yihan Xu Y, Zhou T, Tang H, Li X, Chen Y, Zhang L Zhang J. 2020. Probiotic potential and amylolytic properties of lactic acid bacteria isolated from Chinese fermented cereal foods. Food Control 111: 107057.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- RISKY NURHIKMAYANI, BUDI SETIADI DARYONO, ENDAH RETNANINGRUM, The Isolation and molecular identification of antimicrobial-producing Lactic Acid Bacteria from chao, South Sulawesi (Indonesia) fermented fish product , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 4 (2019)
- DENAYA ANDRYA PRASIDYA, WAHYU WILOPO, I WAYAN WARMADA, ENDAH RETNANINGRUM, Optimization of manganese bioleaching activity and molecular characterization of indigenous heterotrophic bacteria isolated from the sulfuric area , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 20 No. 7 (2019)
- FADILLA SAPALINA, ENDAH RETNANINGRUM, Molecular characterization of lactic acid bacteria producing edible biofilm isolated from kimchi , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 3 (2020)
- SITI SOLEHA, ENDAH RETNANINGRUM, Screening and molecular identification of lipolytic bacteria from spent bleaching earth , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 9 (2020)
- ENDAH RETNANINGRUM, TANIA YOSSI, RINI NUR’AZIZAH, FADILLA SAPALINA, PERISKILA DINA KALI KULLA, Characterization of a bacteriocin as biopreservative synthesized by indigenous lactic acid bacteria from dadih soya traditional product used in West Sumatra, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 9 (2020)
- WHIKA FEBRIA DEWATISARI, LAURENTIUS HARTANTO NUGROHO, ENDAH RETNANINGRUM, YEKTI ASIH PURWESTRI, The potency of Sansevieria trifasciata and S. cylindrica leaves extracts as an antibacterial against Pseudomonas aeruginosa , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 1 (2021)
- Endah Retnaningrum, WAHYU WILOPO, I WAYAN WARMADA, Enhancement of manganese extraction in a biochar-enriched bioleaching column with a mixed culture of indigenous bacteria , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 5 (2021)