Pre-harvest sprouting on high-level seed dormancy of bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea) landraces
Abstract. Sari M, Ilyas S, Suhartanto MR, Qadir A. 2021. Pre-harvest sprouting on high-level seed dormancy of bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea) landraces. Biodiversitas 22: 5617-5623. Bambara groundnut (Vigna subterranea (L.) Verdc.) is an underutilized crop. Therefore, its seed quality is not guaranteed. Pre-harvest sprouting (PHS) on bambara groundnut seeds can be found either due to the unpredictable rainfall or the late harvesting and plants are still in the field when rainfall. Conversely, seed dormancy causes a problem for planting. The objective of this research was to identify seed dormancy and PHS of four bambara groundnut landraces and other related seed characters. Four landraces (Madura, Sukabumi, Brown Sumedang and Tasikmalaya) were planted at the end of May 2017. Seeds were harvested at physiological maturity (130 days after planting) during the beginning of the wet season (early October 2017). The result showed that there were variations of PHS among landraces from 1% to 12%, and variations of seed dormancy rates from 62% to 82%. There were differences in seed color, seed size, tannin content, seed hardness, and imbibition rate. However, these characters could not clearly explain the diversities in PHS and seed dormancy. There was a high genetic diversity within Tasikmalaya landrace because this landrace had the highest PHS (12%) and the highest dormancy rate (82%) as well, although both characters are contradictory. This diversity needs further research, mainly to avoid the disadvantages due to PHS.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- WINDA UTAMI PUTRI, IBNUL QAYIM, ABDUL QADIR, Invasive species in the soil seed bank of two limestone hills in Bogor, West Java, Indonesia , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 22 No. 9 (2021)
- TANTRI PALUPI, SATRIYAS ILYAS, MUHAMMAD MACHMUD, ENY WIDAJATI, Effect of seed coating with biological agents on seed quality of rice , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 18 No. 2 (2017)
- MUHAMMAD FAUZAN FARID ALHAMDI, ASEP SETIAWAN, SATRIYAS ILYAS, WAI KUAN HO, Genetic variability of Indonesian landraces of Vigna subterranea: Morphological characteristics and molecular analysis using SSR markers , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 21 No. 9 (2020)
- NELLY FRIDAYANTI, ENY WIDAJATI, SATRIYAS ILYAS, SRI WILARSO BUDI, ENDAH RETNO PALUPI, Phenology of flowering and seed development of jernang rattan (Daemonorops spp.) , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 24 No. 1 (2023)
- LUIS MANUEL BRANCO, ENDAH RETNO PALUPI, SATRIYAS ILYAS, BAMBANG SAPTA PURWOKO, AGUS PURWITO, Evaluation of agro-morphological and molecular characters of 22 rice landraces of East Timor , Biodiversitas Journal of Biological Diversity: Vol. 24 No. 5 (2023)